1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improvements in molded cabinet design?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaHei, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I have been following the evolution of molded plastic PA cabinets for a while now, wondering if they would work for medium loud jazz/fusion gigs. I have the Carvin LS 1503, Kappalight 3015 LF equipped, and I love it. However, it's quite an unnecessary schlep for small gigs and rehearsals.

It seems the newer generation of neo woofers is creeping into molded cabinet design. Have a look at this: http://www.fbt.it/intranet/Inglese/pae/speaker/HiMaxX/HiMaxX-40/index.asp

Points of interest for me:
    - (presumably) high quality B&C neo woofer with good power handling (Xmax?)
    - relatively low crossover point for good dispersion of mids and highs (1,6 kHz)
    - 35 pounds
    - rugged, compact form with integrated handles, monitor position

I doubt it will go super low, but if it can take a 60Hz EQ boost and compete in volume with a jazz drummer, I'd be happy.

Molded cabinets are generally considered cheap solutions for PA. But with some decent components, it might just work. What do you all think about this design?