1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improving a Pignose Hog 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I recently bought a store demo Pignose Hog 30 combo amp. While it sounded decent for such a small cabinet/speaker, I wanted to see the internal construction. Doing so revealed that there is no acoustic insulation inside. Then I remembered all those speaker experiments I performed as a teenager by testing the effect of insulation in a cabinet. A piece of insulation just large to partially fill the upper half of the cabinet was placed. The bottom half is left un-filled since the rechargable batteries are there. They probably get warm during recharge and need air around them to keep from overheating. The result is less of a boxy sound and a deeper low end. This is a simple project and a nice improvement.

Paul Mac

2. Hey Paul, thanks for the info. Very helpful. Did you litteraly fill the top half of the amp with insulation or did you line the walls?
    I use my Hog 30 a lot of the time when I am home practicing. I don't mind the sound as I realize that a 30 watt 8" speaker will not sound the same as a 400 watt 2x10 or 1x15!
    I will definitely try this out some time.
    Thanks
    Al

3. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring here.

I love my Hog 30. It has a great clear sound, but sometimes I would like it to be a little more bassey. Maybe I will try this mod. However, I really want to try a low wattage 10" speaker as it looks as there is room. Has anyone tried this???

The hog 30 is the best little practice amp and has come through for me in a pinch like when the power went out at church. We had an acoustic guitar and my hog 30 on batteries. I have taken it camping without the charging cable because the battery lasts forever. I would usually drag it to acoustic practice with the band. This thing is awesome!!!. If you are thinkin about buying one, just do it. The construction is great(metal post pots on an amp that costs this much), the sound could be louder and bassier, but the portability is wonderful and it is just the right height to sit on while by the campfire.

Sorrry for the on the spot review....I just love this amp and I like to give it attention due when the oppurtunity arises.

Thanks,
    danman

4. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I just got a Pignose Hog 30 a few days ago for camping and the like... Did the insulation make that big of a difference in sound? What kind of insulation did you use? I think it sounds good for what it is being used for... I just can't wait to take it camping over Memorial Day weekend!!

5. I was in a Home Depot store and found these tiny portions of insulation in a roll. One was more than enough to do the trick. They are classified as thermal and acoustic insulation. All I did was cut a piece large enough to cover from the internal horizontal brace to the top of the cabinet. Maybe with some experimenting there may be a more optimal fill, but I'm happy with the result, not as much of a boxy sound and there's more bass.

I paid $100 for the Pignose Hog 30 and I'm not expecting it to sound like my $950 Eden CXC 210. Actually, I'd be pretty pissed if it did; why pay over 9 times as much for the Eden?!?!? LOL!!!!

Paul Mac