Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Improving bass skills

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by gothicvixen, Jul 11, 2002.

1. hi i am a bass Player trying to improve my skills over the summer i am in 10th grade and i suck at playing the double or upright bass right now. i am taking lessons right i dont think that good enough now. i am very serious about thing insturment i just need some things to help me out. so if any of out there know of a book,lessons,or music that i chould get online or from the store to help me get better please reply to this thank you for you time.

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    That fact that you are a student and as you say "I suck" how can you know that waht you are doing is not good enough? You can practice your lesson assigments alot or a little. This will determine you rate of growth. If you do not trust you teacher, then get a different teacher.

As for books and other material to learn from, the list is endless. Can you be more specific as to what you want to learn? Do you want to learn jazz? Do you want to study classic technique? Mayber you want to increase your knowledge of the fingerbaord? etc. ...

To just say that "I am serious and want to be good" is too gerneral for practical application. Ask your teacher specific questions and set some goals for your develpoment and growth.

I, like many others, write and use books in my teaching. Here is my web address:

http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html

3. Like J.S. asked a little more info would be great.
    What isn't working with your lessons.
    We all lean towards a good teacher, what isn't working with yours?

Effort must be made. Charles Atlas didn't get sand kicked in his face after he made the effort.

4. hi i am a bass Player trying to improve my skills over the summer i am in 10th grade and i suck at playing the double or upright bass right now. i am looking for a book that i can get from the store or a website online that can help me improve my bass skills. i am looking for a book and online websites that will help me improve my understand of the bass notes and techique of the fingerboard because i am having problems with that. so if you any books that i can buy or websites online that i can look at to help me please reply to this or e-mail me at prettymeansister@hotmail.com

5. Are you SPAM?
    Same question 4 times, no response.
    What are you looking for?

PM me or send me an email I have a magic pill that will make you every thing you want to be. I offer a payment plan.

[​IMG]