1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improving fretting hand speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lostcontrol_, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

My current issue is that my fretting hand is a lot slower than my picking hand. I guess that this has a lot to do with the fact that I've mostly played slow music and have been a bit lazy with any fretting exercises.

Anyhow, I need to get a particular Fields of the Nephilim/Psychonaut-esque riff running smoothly, steady 16th's at ~120bpm. The fretting action isn't that difficult (open string with a couple of alternating notes here and there on the same string), but the speed's the issue. While my picking hand keeps up just fine, the fretting hand falls behind.

I understand that mostly I just need to woodshed a lot with a metronome and slowly build up my fretting speed, but is there something I can do to speed up the process? Any particular exercises that have worked for you? Advices on setup (lower string height, duh...)?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Today I learned that "Search" is a wonderful feature, and using it before posting may come in handy. Oh well, feel free to reply anyway if you have any nice tips :)

2. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    well, it is a given that low action will give u faster speed.

relax, and practise and practise.

If it doesnt take lots of practise to play fast, everyone would be playing like billy sheehan

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    This is the only way that I know of to build up speed.