1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improving my Fender JB62RI

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dezspet, Mar 13, 2008.

1. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Just became a new member of a funky-acid group. We play a wide variety of covers from Chic to Jamiroquai, Brand New Heavies, Incognito, etc.
    My axe is a MIA JB62RI. I love the neck, the look and its sound, but I feel I should improve a few things:
    1. string to string balance
    2. bridge pickup sound, it's too nasal at the moment (or even plastic?), and might be a bit more agressive too.

I'm using two EBS 1x12 neo cabs, Ashdown Mark King signature head, half of the time an Ampeg preamp through the return of the Ashdown, sometimes a Sansamp Para DDI.
    I'm thinking of changing the pups: Lindy Fralin? Or Nordstrand? Will they dramatically change the character of the original sound? Cause I like the current dark slap tone and warm finger sound, and it also has beautifull dynamics.
    How about using a Sadowsky outboard pre instead of the PDDI, will it work well with the Ampeg?
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    As you're in Europe I'd recommend Wizard pickups

http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass

I've fitted out all of my Fender style instruments with these excellent handwound pickups.
    A definite improvement to the stock MIA 75RI jazz.

Don't let the excellent value fool you into thinking that these are anything but top quality.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    The only thing that is really going to fix the string balance problem is pickups with staggered pole pieces, which I believe Norstrand or Fralin will make for you. Other than that, you can actually adjust (at your own risk) the pole pieces in the stock pickups by pressing the E and G string pole pieces down a bit (they are just press fitted into the bobbin). You would of course need to remove the pickup to try this adjustment.