1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improving my J Bass tone.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 28, 2006.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    My MIM J Bass was custom shop 60's PUPS and after playing a Ibanez this past weekend that had active preamp built in. I would like to get that active deep bass from my J Bass. I play it straight thru a Bassman 200. Dont know if I should add a preamp inside or perhaps outside maybe just a sansamp is what I need. Thanks for the advice.

Steve

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want deep bass, get a P bass.

3. I recently did some recordings of my L1500, MIM-P, and MIM-J fretless. Setup was Countryman DI on +48v phantom power into Sonar 4.

I noticed a tone difference between the three basses, but all three seemed to have a very good, deep bottom. All were running rounds.

What comes out of the bass doesn't always get through the cabinet and reach the ear. The DI recording, and playback through reference monitors shows how much bottom each bass can generate. Both the P and J had a very rich bottom using the same set of EXL-220 rounds.

4. mess w/ your eq if you wan't that "deep active sound"

basically boost the treble.

boosting the treble gives the appearance of a a deeper bottom. Makes tone more mid-sucked, hence, deeper.

just an FYI, i'm almost 99% sure those PUPS weren't active either, the preamp was. You probably just either 1. liked the boosted high end, or 2. like the tone of the bass all together more the your Fender.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    doing the series/parallel mod adds a little bit of low end, it gets it closer to a P tone.(not a proper P though :( )

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I would suggest getting the Sadowsky outboard preamp, and/or doing the series/parallel mod. to the bass. That should cover it.

8. There must be lots of choices, let me tell you mine.

I have a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, when used with the Yamaha NE1 Preamp, i can get those deep sound tone you told.

It's a cheap solution, but there are better ways to solve your problem and better sounding too.

:bassist: