1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Improving my soloing

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by EyalionIS, Jun 12, 2014.

1. EyalionIS

EyalionIS

Jun 12, 2014
    bhvgf
    Hi, Im having few problems with soloing on standarts with fast changes, especially when i play them first time. For example, im playing with a group of friends Bright size life (Pat metheny), and i can solo easily and take my ideas, play them and make them sound good. But when we are playing Bouncing with bud (Bud powell) for example, with a lot of 2 chord changes per bar, and pretty fast BPM, I just cant make any rhythmic phrases, or anything that will sound good.

Any advices, exerices, something ?

PS - Sorry if there are any writing mistakes, im not a native english speaker... Thx A lot !!

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi there-

one of the things i would recommend is that you try working chord tone exercises at slow tempos. this could apply to any type of tune, but for instances in which you have a lot of changes that aren't necessarily diatonic this is really helpful. by focusing on outlining the chords, you are exercising your ability to navigate through the changes by constantly thinking ahead to what is coming next. you could start very simple and build from there… for example, try playing only a single chord tone or guide tone per chord, and when successful then try adding another tone or 2, all the way until you get to consistent eighth notes throughout the entire tune. of course, you would not perform the tune in this way, but these are intensive exercises that will get you more intimately familiar with the changes so that you are able to then take a step back and musically approach building lines through them. hope that helps-

r10 likes this.
  3. EyalionIS

EyalionIS

Jun 12, 2014
    bhvgf
    Hi, seems like a good exercise, ill try this !
    Thank you, much appriciated

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    you are welcome!