Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Improving right hand finger speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MicB, Jan 12, 2006.

1. MicB

MicB

Jan 12, 2006
    Houston
    As I sit here posting for the first time and trying to learn a song well beyond my skill level (Easily by RHCP), I'm wondering just how to improve my right hand speed. It doesn't apply to just this song, but I notice its very difficult to play fast and still achieve a nice full tone. Can anyone suggest some practice methods that concentrate on this area specifically?

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Whip out the meteronome, play it at a speed your comfortable with then once your spot on with that speed move the BPM's up one or two and then practice it until you have it spot on at that speed and repeat. Do this for other bass lines you know. You can also learn scales as well as double up on speed practice klling two birds with one stone

3. Hello MicB and a very warm welcome to TalkBass.

I think the advice to practice to a 'nome is absolutely and completely vital. Frankly, I've come full circle on this after my thread some years on the metronome subject. (It decended into TB's version of all out war where advocates and disbelievers slugged it out and I stood back to watch).

Anyway, I think it depends on what R/H technique is comfortable: it might take some long time to establish that. For instance, I've cultivated my R/H from thumb anchored to fully floating R/H and plucking with all 4 fingers. Not saying I'm that good or anything, but that's what I did. 'Works much better for me, now.

There's an article by Cliff Suttle on Harmony Central's bass pages called (something like) Hanging ten on the bass. Might be worth a look. I based my current R/H technique on that article.

I've come to think that with any technique, the player knows in his own heart what's right and what's wrong. I was honest with myself like that. I then worked out some simple finger routines - to a 'nome - to try to put it right. I might do (Say)10 groups of routine 1, or do it for (say) 30 seconds at whatever 'nome speed. Then increase speed, or routine duration at the same speed ... you get the idea. And write it all down so you know where you were up to from the previous practice.

There used to be loads of lessons on a web site called ActiveBass.com. Try that.

Good luck.

John