1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improving right hand technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by FlippinGod, May 1, 2009.

1. Hi to you all,
    I am new to TB and I have already found tons of useful information here, thank you all for this. I play bass for something like ten years, but I always had it just for fun and not serious playing, so I feel like a novice now, when I finally decided to learn how to play. And now the problem:

I am left handed and always took advantage of that (in sports, drumming etc.), but recently I found out that it limits me somehow. I bought a left-handed bass and guitar and realized that while LH guitar is almost fine with me, I am almost unable to play the bass. So I got RH bass and decided to start playing like the rest of the world. BUT - I noticed that my right hand is not able to keep up with the left one (what a surprise), so can you please recommend me some exercises specifically for the right hand technique? I found lots of great ideas here for practicing both hands, but I think I need to pay special attention to my right hand, because it gets really frustrating.

Thank you :)

2. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    either a buddah rope (slightly thicker than clothes line placed between last fret and strings... play normal licks and it'll strengthen both hands)... or jkust practice slow enought to do it clean, THEN build speed... either way your right hand will catch up

and as always minimize movement as much as possible... let the amp do the heavy lifting

3. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    This video might help:

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Er, JMHO, but if you're left handed, you should probably play left-handed. It doesn't matter what the rest of us do.

I'm right handed and when I try to play lefty, I can barely even hold the bass, much less pluck and string and mash it down at the same time with both hands.

I imagine you have the same thing trying to play righty.

Have you considered just working on your technique playing lefty for a little while longer?

LS

5. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Left-hand bass playing, supreme edition (maybe a little inspiration...):

6. Well, I was considering that. But I play right handed for so long... The real problem is that I have a band to play with and I can't really support them with my fake LH musicman (although I am really amazed by its sound, given I got her new for some $80 or so). And I just bought a bass with sound I really love...

Actually it has some advantages - when I play something that requires more dexterity on the fretboard, it is real fun for me, I have to think about it far less then I should, because it feels more "natural". Problem is that I currently play in punkrock band, so style that features minimal movement over the fretboard, but strong and constant right hand play that gives me those problems.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I found a hand exercize DVD for fingerpick guitar style that
    translates very well to right hand bass plucking exercises.

Peter Huttlinger - Essential Exercises for Fingerstyle Guitar.
    It is all right hand exercise work. There is enough material
    here to keep you busy for a year at the cost of one lesson
    with a teacher.

Peter is a National Fingerstyle Champion (US), and is based in
    Nashville. He composes, arranges and has backed many names
    including LeAnn Rimes and John Denver.

http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Essential-Exercises-Fingerstyle-Guitar-Huttlinger/dp/B00067WSXO

Also available for Homespun Tapes, a family company I really
    like. HAppy Traum, the owner of Homespun, directed the DVD.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=442

[​IMG]

This is a great tool, I own it and I highly recommend it.

8. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    It can work fine to play a right handed bass as a lefty - I've been doing it for 30 years. Yes, your right hand isn't inherently as strong, but your left is stronger. I play a lot of fretless bass, and have had an easier time with intonation than some of my bassist friends. Being a lefty may have something to do with it.

Lots of good suggestions here on exercises and books. Just practice, and you'll get there!