Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

improving slap techniques

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cossiemon, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi,

I've been trying to hone my slapping skills, i had the problem of striking other strings when i would slap on the A,D or G strings, i'd been practicing just slapping each string individual but i got pretty bored with that so i started slapping songs that didn't have any slap at all.

This way i've really improved my technique, the songs that i used were:

Maria, Bullet in your Head (the chorus part) - RATM
    All The Small Things, 1st Date - Blink182
    Wrong Way - Sublime (but only slowly:D )

I've started into the chilli's stuff now, and RATM is great for beginning with.

Anybody else have any good tips on how i could get better?

2. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yep, use your thumb to play scales....much along the same idea of what you are doing now. Keep it up. Takes time but it works. Also, listen to and watch as many players as you can.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    There's slap in Wrong Way?:confused:

But try "I like Dirt" by the Chili Peppers(easy slap there) or the slap breakdown in Come Original by 311. Both of those are good beginner slap riffs.

Oh, also, Take the Power Back by RATM. Great slap riff there.

5. What your doing is great for precision, its the same thing i did, except mostly with tom petty riffs. While your playing, try muting when you come to a pause, funk is all about the mutes so get used to muting strings where there are pauses instead of stopping. This will also improve your speed. When you get more advanced look into some stuff by a guy named Louis Johnson of the brothers johnson, i think he has a couple books out. Anyway, there are some great riffs in there!

6. I know I use Primus/claypool alot but try
    Greet the Sacred cow...it will help with your A

7. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    Thanks for the tips, i've been practicing a great deal lately, forearm is kinda sore (from slapping!!!).

Yeah the muting gives a better funky feel than just stopping, i was looking at alot of flea's bass lines and he mutes alot - there's a part in aeroplane that he double slaps a muted E.

Thanks again!:)