Improving the ignor function

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Petebass, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't have many people on my ignor list, which is a good thing. However I find it a bit odd that I get an email informing me when they've posted to a thread I've subscribed to.

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice if I could stop that happening?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sounds like a good idea... Not that you will see this post.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that the Ignore function is very clunky and basically doesn't work at all how you would expect it to, given the name - it doesn't allow you to ignore the person at all - in fact it draws attention to the fact that they have posted.

It would be really nice if you just didn't know at all when people on your ignore list posted to a thread - otherwise it is just a waste of time.
  4. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I'd also like to ask that you be able to set a user's avatar to be ignored. Without necessarily ignoring the user would be nice. I'm about to cough up another $25 to get tripster's avatar off my monitor.
  5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    The ignore feature will be greatly improved in VBulletin 3.0 (upgrade will be in a month or so). Here's what's in the feature list:

# Ability to TOTALLY ignore a user (i.e. - posts do not show up at all, previous poster is displayed as last poster, possibly replies to user's posts also do not show up)

# Option to block all threads started by users on your ignore list

This should help a lot :)
  6. Bruce Lindfield

That'll be great - thanks for the update - I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we appreciate all your efforts to improve the board! :)
  7. Why put anyone on your ignore list? This is ridiculous and childish, IMO. Can someone explain me?

BTW, if you don't like someone's avatar, just don't look at it! I don't even like your avatar, thumbtrap! That doesn't mean you're an a$$hole to me, though!

Come on people, open up your minds!

*prepares fireproof suit*
  8. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I don't give a flip about most people's avatars, though I'd rather not a bunch of naked men holding fig leaves over their privates be anywhere near my screen. However - he was the most recent supporting member for a day or so, which meant you couldn't get away from it, except to just not go to talkbass.

I didn't attack you so why the name calling? (nice use of implied insults - that's above the skills of the average "your momma's ugly" schoolyard thug.) I really don't care to ignore what Tripster has to say. I reserve that for people who direct personal attacks at me.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I've had people follow me around and stalk my posts - just posting abuse. So I'd rather just put them on ignore - I don't see why that is childish!! :rolleyes:

Also we've had trolls who have just filled up all the new posts since last login feature, with junk and often when I am on, there are no moderators, as they are nearly all American and due to the time difference, are asleep when I am most often on!

I think calling a feature "childish " is bizarre - if you see no need for it, just don't use it - but just because you have no imagination or empathy, there is no need to insult people who can see the use for such a feature!!
  10. Well, my opinion about this is that even "trolls" may post something relevant or interesting, and ignoring even the most useless post may leave you wondering what people are talking about...

I like to be aware of everything going on, good or bad. If some kind of troll comes in and says "Godin sucks!" or "King Crimson are a bunch of posers!", I want to know about it so I can start throwing flames!

Also, if someone insults me, I want to know about it, so I can respond, or at least be aware that the person is an arse!

Anyway, use the ignore feature if you will, but I don't think I'll ever see anyone go onto my ignore list!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Let me put it this way. If you're on MY ignor list, you would have had to try pretty darn hard!
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Paul. That sounds great.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    umm... you're right I didn't see that post.......until Matt quoted it. Suddenly I can't ignor it. Which is kinda wierd since I've got that user on my ignor list....... see my point.
  15. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I too, have no one on my ignore list for various reasons. One is that I try to deal with people who annoy me in a more "hands-on" way, which teaches me to better handle unpleasant people, thereby improving my "people skills". And I can use all the improvement in that area that I can get! Another is that I think we need to be reminded that there are people out there whom we don't like. You know, take the bad with the good, be tolerant. We seem to have been convinced that we should create a perfect little world for ourselves where we are shielded from the unpleasant. Which may lead to such things as a skewed idea of reality.

Last I heard, Utopia is a small town in upstate New York.

I don't think an ignore list is ridiculous or childish, just a crutch that I refuse to employ. :cool:
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'd demand my money back.

BTW: I'm just quoting this so all the people who ignore petebass can see this.
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hands up anyone who has me on their ignor list......

i'm waiting...........

(cricket's chirping).........

No-body replied so there......

Alrighty here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna take everyone off my ignor list and see what happens. Can't hurt to give em another chance. Or can it? worst case scenario I just go back to ignoring them.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Well this is fair enough if you have unlimited time, as some people seem to on this board. So if you are a 15 year old kid who has everything done for them by their parents then I can see you don't need to ignore anybody - if you are a timewaster - then go ahead and waste time! ;)

But there are some of us who have things like full-time jobs, run a household and who actually do things like :

play gigs
    go to jams
    attend music classes

as well as being a season ticket-holder for a football club, member of Brighton Jazz club and want to get to see as many gigs as possible and concerts - like the proms.

Anything that helps me separate the wheat from the chaff is very welcome - so well done Paul for appreciating that we aren't all timewasters!! :)
  19. I think I'm just going to "ignore" this thread! ;)
  20. Bruce Lindfield

So, I've managed to convince you that there is a use for the ignore function !! :)