1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improving the Marcus Miller Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Headless Llama, Oct 3, 2009.

1. I am thinking about building a Jazz in the style of the Miller Jazz. What improvements would you make, pickups, bridge, tuners, woods used. I know that I am going to be using birdseye maple for the neck. I want to keep the look of the original instrument, just looking for ideas/suggestions.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The only changes that I made to mine were making sure the tuners went the proper way instead of reversed, and hum canceling pickups.

I also got rid of the Badass bridge, but that's personal preference.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    And a lake placid blue refinish.

I swear I heard that idea from another TBer... :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is that so? :p

Still on the drawing board... it's a decent bit of money, but one of these days maybe, I hope.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Something is only an improvement if it changes the tone to something closer that you are looking for.

What are you looking for?

6. I wanted opinions on what people have done to improve the MM Jazz bass. I am going to be building sort of a replica, but how I want it. I would like to know what pickups and what bridge, tuners ect people have used. Any probably more importantly what didn't work, so I don't make a similar mistake.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've added the Aguilar OBP-1 and Aero pickups. The aero pickups have a nice single coil tone. What's interesting, is that I really like this bass passive. I'm going to add a passive tone control

8. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I think the most important, use a REAL Sadowsky preamp in it. Not the crappy one the Fender makes. It will make a HUGE difference in the sound. The preamp that comes in a stock Fender MM is a poor copy of a Bartolini preamp, which is what the Sadowsky preamp is based from. Roger Sadowsky then made it better!

I have a Sadowsky preamp in my Fender American Deluze FMT Jazz........huge...HUGE difference in the sound from the stock Fender preamp. At one point I was thinking about selling the bass, but now with the new preamp, No Way!