Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Improving two hand tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jul 23, 2001.

1. I know the basic mechanics and I am not to bad. But I want to improve. Besides "practice", what other tips could you offer? like how to work on hand independance and figer independance. Thanks for the help.

Nate M

2. Hello Nate,
    There are two videos that i think would be of great help to you concerning tapping.Check out Victor wooten's "super solo bass technique" and Victors "bass day 98 " video.All the information you need to become an excellent tap style bassist is contained in these videos.
    p e a c e

3. have a look at the Annex section of

BASS LOBSTER

at section 3, the finger exercise is really good, i try and do it as a warm up everyday

stu

4. Something I found was to not wear your bass too high. I think the best height (for me) is around your stomach/waist. Any lower: I have trouble with strength in my left hand, any higher: I don't have a good angle with my right hand and my left shoulder gets tired.

5. Thirdstar

Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    Just remember, don't use too many fingers. it tends to clutter the sound. learn the method behind tapping as well. tap with your right hand thumb. slap harmonics while tapping. Theres all sorts of things you can do to make it a little more interesting.
    Also listen to Michael Manring, Stu Hamm, Trip Wamsley, Victor Wooten, and theres a twelve string solo bassist named Kevin Macza that is worth checking out as well.

6. There are a lot of things you can do. First you need to build independent strength for both hands and then dexterity for all your fingers. This can be done by practicing scales, arpeggios, and chords with both hands- starting with one at a time. Then trying breaking the scales, arpeggios and chords up by playing some the notes with the left (usually lower) then play the others with your right hand. Then try harmonizing. Try using ascending and decending lines simultaneously. Try tapping at different volumes, try adding some reverb, also try tapping right on the fret for a softer sound. Buy piano scores too, these helped me such as Linus and Lucy to start. It is very easy to play, and once you get the bassics of it try tapping it on fretless.
    Invision your bass as you would a piano.