Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 20, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i had a ate over a few weeks ago and we were jamming & he said:
    "i like your right hand technique".
    now i thought 'oh cheers', then i thought wait a minute what about my left-hand. So i thought is there any exercises, or any to do to improve my left hand technique. By the way i don't use my pinky i don't feel strong enough with it. is there any way to toughened my little pink haeded warrior up?
  2. try playing alternating octaves using your index and little finger (to fret) up and down the neck- eg. Jamiroquai's "Allright", and countless disco records or if you're an alt rock fan like me, the Strangler's "hanging around" or the Cure's "The Walk".
    it worked for me anyway.

3. I had a devil of a time with my pinky being weak when I first started playing tabs.This is what I did and it helped me strengthen my pinky to the point where I have no problem using it!

Start changing the fingering on your favorite songs,the ones you have down pat.By this I mean if you can make you index finger the one not being used instead of your pinky finger...follow?Slide your fingering down so the pinky finger is fretting what would be fretted by the ring finger normally...not sure if I am explaining it well or not.

It is normal to favor our stronger fingers i.e. pointer,middle so if you start getting your little finger in the mix,so to speak,it will become one of the stronger fingers also...

Hope this helps!

4. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    Definitely. Regularly using the pinky will get it strong and fast in no time. I have no problems with it whatsoever.
    Alternating octaves is a good method, but I got my pinky strong and fast when I started playing by playing up and down the neck index-middle-ring-pinky in chromatic scales. Toughened that sucker right up after doing it for a few minutes a day.
  5. Hmmm...I feel lucky that my pinky seemed to be naturally strong when I started playing...
    Oh well. Since I don't share this problem, there isn't too much helpful advice I'd be able to give... :p
  6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    well NOT using it is not gonna make it stronger,y'know...just practice.
  7. LiquidSexMachine

Sep 1, 2000
    I think the best way to get your fingers stronger is to play the chromatic scale up and down the neck.

I R M P

use you index middle ring and pinky

Practice this. It should get your hands strong in no time