Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Improvisation, ear training, jazz solos - questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gbf, Dec 27, 2003.

1. hey guys... it's me again with my questions :rolleyes:

since i'm getting really into playing jazz i've started doing ear training and reading about it alot. I have some books by Jamey Abersold and Bass Solo by Ed Friedland. All the books take alot of ear skills that I don't really don't right now. so i was thinking if it would be better to leave this aside for now to get it together or should i keep studying my jazz stuff while doing the ear training exercises? i'm only asking this because i'm getting kinda nowhere since i can't play almost nothing that i hear in my head. Jamey says that you got to do it now and just don't wait until your are good but i'm kinda stucked and without any confidence anymore. (again) :bawl:

so what you guys think about it?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Just take your time. As with anything you strive to learn, patience is the key. Don't put aside your Jazz studies just because your ear is not "up-to-speed." As you go through your books, your ears will become more aware of the nuances between different notes/chords/etc.

Also, though it has been said over and over, get a teacher. Even if you can only go a couple times a month, it will help in all aspects of your playing.

Good luck!

3. until march i'm getting a music teacher since i will do my tests to get into music colege here in Brazil. there will be alot to study so i think it will kinda help in my jazz path.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Transcribing is probably the best way to improve your ears.

it's hard, but it will really pay off.

also, practice singing what you play, and playing what you sing, that will help with your connection with your instrument, and your ability to recognize pitches when you hear them.

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Yep very true.

The best way to get started in jazz is TRANSCRIPTION (or using your ear to pick things off of records).

Charlie Parker did this. Bill Evans did this. Marcus Miller did this.. and just about any other great jazz artist

Start with something really simple that you have a chance at grasping. Preferably a blues with a blues-oriented soloist (check out saxist Eddie Harris for instance).

Go slowly and learn to sing the phrases , then play them on your bass...

good luck,
    /lovebown

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thing about transcribing is, it gets easier the more you do it, you just gotta keep at it, eventually you will be able to do it really efficiently and still very well.