Improvisational Influences

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by keny46, Dec 29, 2007.

1. keny46

keny46

Jul 1, 2006
    Janek,

Hey I know there has been quite a bit of talk on transcription throughout the forum but hopefully I bring up an aspect no one has touched on yet; that being what your influences in music are, and more specifically whose music or solos helped you create your own voice by transcribing their music (or solo sections)? Again if this question has been answered already I apologize and I'd appreciate if someone directed me to the thread.

Thanks,
    Kenny

2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    there is another pretty massive thread on here somewhere about similar topics you've brought up, but I'm not sure where it is.

Briefly...

I've been hugely influenced by improvisors and composers such as:

Pat Metheny
    Michael Brecker
    Steve Grossman
    Allan Holdsworth
    Sonny Rollins
    McCoy Tyner
    Lee Morgan
    John Coltrane
    Freddie Hubbard
    Laurence Cottle
    Jaco Pastorius
    Chick Corea
    Herbie Hancock
    Gustav Holst
    Franz Liszt
    Frederick Chopin
    Joe Zawinul
    Wayne Shorter
    Art Pepper
    Cannonball Adderley
    Randy Brecker
    Mike Stern
    Quincy Jones
    Jeremy Lubbock

the list really goes on and on.....

I have a library of music somewhere in the 10,000 + album range, and I do listen to a fair amount of it throughout the year whenever I get time, so it's really an ongoing process.

The most important thing to do is to find what inspires you, then dig into it as much as you can and make the most of it for your own sound.

Easy,

Janek

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021