1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Improvised solo for double bass in three parts

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by damonsmith, Aug 14, 2012.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Here is a recent solo:

I feel better about it than usual.
    the preparation/pre-determined ideas were:

1. Not to do one long piece.

2. I took off my quiver, and in the first movement I try to deal with the whole front of the bass, to the end of the tail piece.

3. Instead of an intensive listening schedule of tons and tons of solo recordings, bass and otherwise I studied a single Barre Phillips album (Journal Violone 9)

The first and third movements are pretty abstract but the second is a pretty straight forward pizzicato piece starting about 3:15. You can skip to that if you are squeamish, but it would great if people heard the whole 17 min work.

2. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    I listened all the way through. I definitely started with a "hmmmm..." but ended with a quiet "Wow".

Danger area for me since I'm not a regular traveler into purely improvised music. I really dug the way you were exploring all (or least has to be close to all) the sounds the instrument can make across the whole body. Very virtuosic. I really enjoyed it as a total audio and visual performance, I'm not sure I would've gotten it as well as just audio.

Also, I think I caught you incorporating the sound of the door being opened a few times around 15:30? If so, well done. Classy and creative way of dealing with that distraction.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Thanks for listening! I know it isn't for everyone, but I think anyone involved in improvising at any level can get something from non-idiomatic improvised music. Much in the same way my music is informed by Lee Konitz & Bach.

4. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    Are you using the term "idiomatic" in some way that I am not familiar with? After listening to the performance I would say that the playing contained would be VERY idiomatic improvised music, but I agree whole heartedly about listening to music outside of ones comfort zone or usual field of performance.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    No, while it HAS developed into it's own sound different ideas still come and go, and sounds from other idioms can appear and disappear without issue, so I still find the term useful.
    I COULD play a polka - I don't. I DO play some jazz based ideas in part II, and even a few "romantic" arco notes here or there.
    I think in this context it means you are not bound to one or any idiom at any moment - that has it's own general kaleidoscopic sound, but the specifics are different often enough.

6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Bumping this over the Alexwill spam!

7. Crass stuff. I like lots of it. What's with the snare drum shnuffle in the background, though? Or is this just my speakers?

Best
    Sidecar

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    One the ACs still on. July in Texas! Could have been the beer cooler, too. It is a nice little bar we play at here!