1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impulse bass purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Warwick Thumb BO 4
    Ampeg SVT 4 PRO w/ an 8-10

That was an expensive day.

2. My drummer works at a great music store. My daughter takes piano lessons there. I look forward to hanging out with my drummer and drooling over all the nice basses they have there.

One day, I woke up with the notion STUCK in my head that I had to have a Fender Jazz bass. An American Deluxe to be exact. Don't know where the idea came from; don't know why. I was actually content with my Cirrus and my Modulus. The voice just wouldn't shut up, so I talk to my drummer and ask him what they've got. He checks the inventory and pulls out this lovely Aged Cherry Burst with Pearloid pickguard Am. Deluxe Fender J.

My heart just melted. I picked it up and fretted a few notes and felt the knees giving way. My drummer walks me over to the amps and plugs it in and we're both smiling as I start running through some stuff.

I ask him how much and he quotes me a ridiculously good price. Still, it's a pricey bass and I know I must have it, but I'm also not up to just buying it and begging for forgiveness from my much better half.

Just so happens it's close to my birthday and our anniversary and she asks me what I'd like and I show her a picture. She shocks me by saying "Very pretty. Does the store have that one?" I say yes they do. She says "Go get it". Even after 15 years, she still surprises me :)

I love this bass. It plays like butter and it sounds so nice. I can't wait to gig with it.

3. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    a black Gibson G-3 I saw for $275

4. If it wasn't for impulse buys, I wouldn't own anything! The latest in the series is a 1967 Kay M-3, 1/4 size upright. :)

5. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I had a Carvin LB75P that was an impulse buy at the time ... took 2 months to build I had it for 2 days and sent it back, not the bass for me. Carvin customer service is great though!.
    - Tom

6. I've never bought a bass on impulse but just about everything I have by way of pedals and such..... guilty! I would be guilty about basses as well if I didn't have such expensive taste. Mind you... not good taste necessarily... just expensive. :p

7. Ughhh yes, a 1980's BC Rich Warlock. I saw it at a guitar show and it was neck through with their active electronics and it had that vintage look and all those switches, and I just had to get it. That was a huge mistake, especially since the original electronics are all fudged on it. It sounded and played pretty good while I used it though.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Went into Bass NW just to look around. Saw a Kinal MK 21, took it down, played with it unplugged, loved the sound and feel and just couldn't put it down. I bought it and prepared to deal with my wife when I got home. Luckily, she supported me with this purchase..

9. I didn't know that at the end of the day I would no longer have my ibanez jet king g****r, my peavey tvx115, my ibanez eda905 would be going for $475 to some guy in Milwaukee and I'd be walking out of Music-Go-Round with my new Fender USA J Deluxe. One of the better days I can remember. :D

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I walked into the store to get a accugroove cab and came out with a Bee Bass. The guy was moveing the bass to the other side of the store, otherwise I wouldnt have even seen it.

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, although I got it for 530 on "scratch-n-dent" (just barely, tho, happily). Thing is, even tho it was "impulse" I got it 'cause it had some very undeniable magic in it. Long story short, I've played a TON of J's including everything from great vintage stuff to modern top of the line (tho not custom shop) and it's prolly the best one I've touched. Still amazed at its tone/playability.

So yeah, technically, it was impulse, but I couldn't have planned this one any better if it wasn't. I'll prolly always have this bass.

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

In late 1988, I went into a store in NYC, and to my utter surprise, ended up coming home with a Steinberger XL-2. Cost me around $1200, in 1988 dollars. :eek: I still have it, and love it dearly; I will NEVER sell it. It "spoke" to me in the store, and tackled me when I tried to leave without it. :D I was a college student with very little money, but I just HAD to have it, and it's one of the few "impulse buys" I've made that I have never regretted.

13. vics, I hear ya. There's just something about it. Of course, I used this bass to be my "modding" project and I'm happy with the upgrades I've done to it, but it's a damn snazzy bass just stock as is.

Funny, because I had been reading nice posts here at TB about the Geddy and had never seen/played one. I went in to the store to get the cable and said to myself "I'm just going to check out the bass room." Of course it was front and center, calling me out - I think I saw it up there from 50 feet away. Like it was calling my name.

Thank goodness my wife is an understanding woman. :D

14. Thats how I got my Fender Classic 60's... I'd been GASsing for a Jazz for ages, but I didnt wanna dish out the cash for that, so I was looking at cheaper options, even thought about getting one of those Jim Reed Ash Jazz Basses... but then I walked into the store, and the shop owner was playing that bass, and it sounded so great, that I thought, man, why settle for something SIMILAR when what I want is THIS sound? wallet out, recoils painfully back into my pocket, but only after being severely lightened...

Still, I love that bass, so it wasnt a BAD impulse... It was based on sound and feel quality... Dont think I'd ever walk up and buy a bass that I just liked the look of straight off the rack... unless it was a real cheap Rik or Sadowsky... but since that'll never happen, Im safe.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :p

Luckily I'm not really impulsive.
    However, if I have GAS for something, it is harder for a longer time :eek: :(