Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Impulse buy: Bongo 5HH + updated family pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Feb 6, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Lately I've discovered that the 35" scale on my Lakland is not always the most comfortable scale to play, so I started searching for a 34" scale five-string. Sadowskys are a little out of my price range, but my wife did give me the green-light to "try out" a bass or two this past weekend.

Note to self: The fact that I gave her a really nice sapphire ring last week probably had something to do with the "green light." :D

I decided to go down to a Guitar center across town, since I hadn't been to that one before, and I was pretty sure they'd have 5-string Stingrays and Bongos. I had heard many great things about Bongos, and virtually no criticism other than about their looks. As someone who played a Steinberger as his main bass for over 15 years, I'm pretty immune to concerns about how a bass looks. Sure, I love the spalted tops and gorgeous finishes as much as the next guy, but to me, the three most important things are playability/ergonomics, construction quality, and tone, which is why I love my Steinie.

Anyway, I walked into the GC, and they had two 5HH Bongos in "desert gold" (see below) marked down from $1299 to $874. I played both of them, along with a 5-string 'ray, and I was absolutely blown away by the Bongos. The color wasn't my first choice, but the price was good. I talked the guy down to $800, including a nice original Musicman hardshell case, and (thanks to no sales tax in Oregon) scored a brand-new Bongo w/case for $800. :hyper:

I'm a convert. I love my Bongo. The tone is thick and rich -- if you haven't played one of these, and you can live with the looks, it's worth a try -- it is the most powerful-sounding bass I've played -- absolutely massive tone. It also plays like a dream -- it practically plays itself. I got one with a great neck, and I'm beginning to really like the color.

[​IMG]

I've also posted a new family pic -- left to right, in order of purchase: 1981 Ric 4003, 1988 Steinberger XL2, 2005 Lakland DJ5 w/J-retro, Tacoma Thunderchief 5-string ABG, Godin A4 fretless, and my new Bongo 5HH. Sorry about the lousy pic quality -- it was getting late and the sun was going down when I got all the basses out for the photo. You can barely see the Steinberger sitting next to the Lakland.

[​IMG]

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Excellent Score! One you get Bongo-lized, there's no going back!

In order to do this, you need to first place the pictures on a server somewhere --I think PhotoBucket is what a lot of TB'ers use.

After that's done, the photo will now have an address of it's own (i.e. http://www.photobucket.com/bartman/pics ... or something like that.)

From there, you can use the "insert image" command when you create your post. When it asks for the URL of the image, you use the one that photobucket has assigned to the picture you're using and voila! Your picture is embedded in your post!

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Congrats on your Bongo, I got the same base a few months back(put a black pickguard on tho :) ) and it's been getting the most play time lately.
    They truely do sound awesome.
    I especially like the slim neck profile with the tight spacing makes fingerstyle a breeze.

4. BartmanPDX

I have a feeling that once you Bongo, you never go back. :D

The best part, though, was that I managed to get the bass without my wife making me sell any of the others.

Now, how do I rationalize bass #7? :bag:
    (just kidding! I'm pretty full-up on basses right now). :ninja:

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Thumbs up on the Ric and the DJ. Nice.

6. I wasn't very impressed with the Bongo. I love the look, and the feel. But... I could not get any tones I liked, I was playing through an Ashdown, which is my favorite amp. And couldnt dial any good tones. But when I pluged in a reg. Sting Ray, I got the tones I loved. I LOVE STINGRAYS. Im gassing for one right now =D.
    But I wasn't impressed with the bongo. But nice score.

7. BartmanPDX

Wow. That's really surprising. I'd say that for me, the tone is the thing I like the most about the Bongo. I just run the EQ flat, with the blend knob at 50/50 (both Pups on), and the tone is as meaty and thick as a 20 oz. ribeye from a New York steakhouse. I liked the Stingray, too, but the Bongo seemed more versatile with the second pickup. Had there been a HH 'ray available for the same price, though, I would have been stumped.

I absolutely LOVE the tone on this monster. Sorry it didn't work for you -- maybe the knobs were set to some funky setting??? :confused:

8. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I dig it man, probably my favorite bongo color.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I suppose it's safe to say that I approve.

Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy tone, eh?

Jack

11. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Exactly!

12. That colour is seriously kick ass.

Enjoy!

13. you have really the same taste as me.. Great basses!

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    And don't forget all the fun you can have swapping pickguards!

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I'm sure a lot of Bongo fans will appreciate that you took shadowed pictures of your darker basses and ended up in the Desert Gold sunlight!
    Hope this does wonders for your stage vibe too!
    One of the hottest looking basses around!

16. Yeah, it might have just been the bass itself. But GC only had one on the floor. I'll try other's out to see. But I love the look and feel of it.

17. congratulations on the Bongo... plus you got a great deal!!!...