Impulse buy on (I think) a good deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 23, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I was browsing the Closeouts at AMS and came upon this little beauty:

It's a Peavey Fury Quilt Top 6. I looked around on the web, and from what I saw, the $369 price can't be beat. Most of the four string Furies I saw will go for more than that. I was planning on selling my DeArmond five string (anyone want a DeArmond five string?) and that will take care the bulk of that price, and I'm working a few extra hours over spring break.

Still, it's not like me to make large impulse buys like this. I have been looking at affordable six strings for a while, and had just about settled in on a Brice sixer after a week or two of careful deliberation. Then I saw this one on the web and bought it the same night.

It's also not like me to buy a bass without playing it first. I've played Peaveys in the past, but not this Peavey. I suppose I can always return it.

I know I'm rambling at this point, but I thinK I'm trying to rationalize my own purchase. ;)

Edit: Maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for blue basses. And this one is blue quilted, no less. I've always wanted a bass with a blue quilted finish.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I guess I'll find out. I just ordered tonight, so it won't be here for about 3-5 business days. (Free shipping!)

Also, I'm impressed that you've heard of CO&CA. Most people think I'm making up words when I tell them about that band. :D
  3. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    I like the bass, it looks amazing! Big fan of the blue! I was wondering what the website was "AMS"...? I am looking around and trying to check out what my options are for an acoustic-electric 4-5 string bass and I don't really know a lot of websites that I can check out... I've checked with carvin... ErnieballMM... and a few other generics, but that's all I know to check...
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    AMS = American Musical Supply. Their website is

You can also check out:
    Musician's Friend
    Sam Ash
    Bassnw Northwest
    Bass Central

Those are all online retailers that have a nice selection. I don't know offhand how many of them stock acoustic and electric basses, but those are the sites that immediately came to mind.
  5. I like the bass, cool top. But I like Coheed And Cambria more!!! *thinks about reverting to old avatar.*
  6. For that price, a decent 6 string is nigh impossibly to come by. Get all over it.
  7. cparky

Mar 22, 2004
    Thanks for the help superduck. It helped out a lot... now I have a good idea of what I want... I'll let you know what I end up getting.
  8. those are really nice basses. i guy i knew used to have one, and at all of his gigs, i couldnt belive how well it sounded in a live situation, considering the price.
  9. do u know what the width or the fretboard at the nut is? pm me or post it once someone knows
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats! That is a heck of a deal. Fury's have the same pickups as the much more expensive Cirrus series. Great sounding basses, especially for that price.
  11. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    What makes these basses so much cheaper than the Cirrus? It's a huge price difference!!
  12. embellisher

They are made in Korea, and bolt on. The Cirrus is USA made, neck through, multilaminate neck and body, better hardware, fancier woods, etc.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Thanks, Jeff- I'm really looking forward to getting this bass. I checked my order on the AMS website today, and they shipped it out today. Friday or Saturday and it should be here! :D:D:D
  14. the cirrus also has a much wider string spacing at the bridge.

i have a blue fury VI in the lab here at work that i have spent the last year trying to learn. there is something about 6 (and even 5) string basses that doesn't jive with me. but it sounds great and has turned out to be very comfortable to play.

this bass is a steal at $369, so don't feel bad about it. and if you need more encouragement, read this BP review of inexpensive basses. the fury won "outstanding construction", "oustanding tone", and "outstading value" awards. of twenty-five basses, it was the only one that won all three. i was so proud.

15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Ah, sweet validation. Thanks, rcz. :)
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    looks nice, looking forward to your impressions
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, my bass finally came, for those who are still interested. I say "finally", even though it shipped in a mere three days. Sure seemed like a lot longer though.

I'm really digging it! The I wasn't too keen on the narrow string spacing at first. I felt like I was trying to play bass while tip-toeing. Once I realized how much I could dig in, though, I was able to get much better tones out it. Construction and finish are top-notch. I really like the bridge- not only does it have slots for the saddle screws (I can't stand bridges that dont'), but it also lets me string through-body, which is something I've never had before.

The electronics are sweet. I need to raise the bridge pickup to get a little more output from it while soloed, but otherwise I can get all of the tones I want with various pickup pan and hand positions. It's the antithesis of my old-school sounding P-Bass, which is my main bass- super modern.

My only gripe is that the EQ knobs don't have any center detents. Is this how it is on the Cirrus basses that have the same electronics? Are they at 0 cut/boost at center?

Once I get more comfortable on it, I'll start gigging it and playing it in church. It's going to stay home for a little bit, though. :D Overall, I'm very happy I made the purchase.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats. Got any pics of it?

I recently made the jump to my first 5 string and i was a little uncomfortable at first but it gets easier everyday. At first it was a little diffucult to switch back and forth from the 4 and 5; when i went back to the 4 i kept missing strings etc, hehe but now ive got it down easily. Your muscles memorize where the strings are, etc.
  19. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Hey SuperDuck, I just wanted to thank you for pointing out that deal. I ordered the same bass 2 days ago, because it was about $300 CAD cheaper than getting the same bass from a local store.

Kudos to you man, and I hope you enjoy your purchase as much as I (hopefully) will! :bassist: :bassist:

P.S. What was the setup like out of box??
  20. embellisher

Ducky, it has the same pickups as the Cirrus, but not the same preamp and pots. The Cirrus pots have a center detent.