1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Impulse buy on (I think) a good deal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 23, 2004.

1. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    On the Fury 6, what is the string spacing @ the bridge & nut?

2. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I have a peavey fury 4 string, and I always thought the electronics were boost only?

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was also impressed that AMS has Kingston 5's for $339. I may have to take one at that price.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Figjam- Not yet. I don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to wait for regular film to develop, and then scan it, etc. It looks real purty, though.

Invisiman- Super low action. Almost too low, and I like low action. I'll have to get used to adjusting this crazy dual-truss rod. They included a little truss rod turning tool (It's not a normal hex-wrench job) and an allen key for the bridge saddles.

Embellisher- I see. I'm actually kind of bummed because I'm already having some issues with one of the pickups (I think it's the pickup and not the preamp).

Bassfelt- 3/8" and 6/8" at the nut and bridge, respectively. Very tight down by the bridge- it barely feels like the strings flare out out all. Definitely takes getting used to.

gyellow- That could very well be. It just seemed kind of weak with all of them turned down all the way. I haven't played it at gig volume yet, so I'm still feeling my way around the bass and setting the tone controls by ear.

Bard2Bone- Wow, that is a good deal. I _almost_ wish I had seen that one first- I always wanted a Kingston.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    the nice thing is you could always go for the kingston instead if you decide the fury is not the best for you

I believe ams has a no hassle 45 day return policy

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    So Duck, ya still diggin it? I picked up a 5 myself after seeing this thread, it arrived last Sat. I was going to say if you 1) find the spacing tight on the six, 2) can live without the C, and 3) otherwise love the bass...the 5 might be a great alternative.

This thing is voiced to be heard, very musical. Chest thumping lows without mud, and midrange to spare. There's also a particular sound bias in this bass which is similar in some ways to my Cirrus, so I may be a bit biased here too. I keep the treble back down most, or all the way, but it's not due to it being noisy or harsh. In fact, it's a very quiet bass.

Playability is nice, a fast neck that makes you want to play. I also found the resonance and tone were great for a basswood body. The absence of center detents is a bit of a bummer, but you'll quickly get a feel for what you like. Workmanship is outstanding in this price range. Weakest area? The tuners could use an upgade imo.

I'd say anyone looking for a bass in this price range should take a look at this bass. Speaking of looks, the top is very nice.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I'm definitely happy with my purchase. I think the acid test will be this weekend when I play it in church. This Saturday and Sunday will be the first time I use it in a band setting. My drummer always preferred basses with a more modern tone over old-school ones like my P-bass that I've used regularly. I'll see what he has to say about it.

But, so far, sitting in my room, it sounds great. :D

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Same here, I'm going to use this bass at rehearsal on Sat. I love how strong the EQ is on this bass, nice electronics for a bass in this price range. And by strong, I mean really useful without stepping all over itself in order to be heard. It doesn't muddy things up either, even when used liberally.

So far, I like the bass up about 2/3, mids about the same, and the treble back nearly all the way. I imagine I might up the treble a bit with the band in order to supplement my sound in the overall mix though, add some edge. I use SS strings and just put a new set on, so the extra zing might have caused me to back off the treble a bit too.

If your drummer craves something more modern, I'm sure this bass will fit the bill too. Bah drummers, who cares what they think? :p Dime the midrange and knock his socks off!

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Cirrus have detents at center of the EQ and pickup knobs.

On the Cirrus, centered is flat, allowing for boost or cut on the EQ knobs. Centered on the pickup knob is both pickups equally, allowing for perfect blending of the pickups.

How do they work on your Fury?

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Pup blend has a center detent, none of the others do. You just sort of have to feel your way on the EQ, then set it and forget it. Though I naturally prefer my Cirrus, this bass has some pretty similar sound qualities.