1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In a bit of QUANDARY here.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by skychief, Aug 19, 2012.

1. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Ill make it quick: A few months ago i was playing with a Rockabilly/Country covers band which I had to bow out of because the guitarist was just too damm loud. The rest of the band would increase volume to "balance" the sound, and eventually the vocalist was screaming into the mic. Not a pretty sight. Shortly after I left, they got a replacement bass player quickly and were able to quickly resume their regular weekly gigs at a local venue.

Ok, no spilt milk there.

An hour ago, the vocalist calls me and says they got cancelled due to the volume issue. Apparently, the owner showed up and demanded that that the band needed to turn it down a coupla notches. Guitarist refused; so now they no longer have a gig there.

But, they like the vocalist (she has a decent following), and asked her if she could bring in another band to back her up.

So, she wants my jazz quartet to back her up at the same place. She's seen these guys play and knows that they are savvy when it comes too volume. Also, she can sing anything you throw at her.

The little angel guy on one shoulder is telling me I shouldn't do this and that I should steer clear of the whole mess. Dont want to alienate the guys in my old rockabilly band.

The little devil guy on the other shoulder is sayin screw 'em... do the gig... forget about those losers...

Im really on the fence here....just thought id bounce it of you guys to get some thoughts/insights...

2. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Do the gig. If his ego is seriously so fragile that it costs the band gigs/members then the others should wise up and fire him. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's just how it is.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Why?

The guitarist caused the problem and your buddies suffered. You had nothing to do with their current situation. You were the smart one for leaving 'cause you saw the writing on the wall.

Feeling guilty about things that weren't your fault won't get you far in the music business or, for that matter, any business or just life in general. :meh:

If your "buddies" say or do anything to cause you problems when you take the gig then they really aren't your buddies. Don't waste another brain cycle on them. They're big boys. They can figure it out and replace the guitar player if they want more gigs. It they don't, it's on them, not you.

It's not your job to worry about what other people think to your detriment. It's big boy time and time to take care of yourself first.

Good luck.

4. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    This. If the singer is good, and your band is good, there is no reason not to do the gig. Just do not book yourselves under the other band's name.

5. Harsh but true. I feel sorry for the rest of the old band having to learn that lesson the hard way but there isn't anything unfair about the process. More fools them for not firing the guitar player on the spot.

6. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Unprofessional players lose gigs. Professional players get and keep gigs. I don't see a reason to feel guilty for being professional enough to do what it takes to make the customer happy.

The other players can choose to take responsibility for their own actions, or maybe blame someone else. Either way, you don't control their response. I don't see that you did anything wrong here.

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

They were willing to let you go.

Maybe it's time for you to let them go, if they're childish to the point of holding it against you for getting a gig that they sabotaged.

And how F'd up is it to tell a club owner to shove it when he asks you to turn down. They must be a band of 'artistes'.

8. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Who are you alienating? The guitarist is too loud so you don't want to play with him, the singer is trying to hire you. That leaves the drummer and maybe a keyboard player?

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take the gig.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The other band alienated YOU. You wanted less volume from a guitar player, and the whole band should have stood firm AS A BAND. They didn't, and now they are losing gigs.

You have no fault in the situation.

10. Perhaps better suited to noodling and shredding in his basement at top volume.

11. You already voiced your concerns about the volume and left because they were not valued. You tried to make things right and have no more obligations to those players. The vocalist may need to do some explaining. Is she trying to keep the old band together and using you for the one venue, or are you the "new band" for every gig? You need to clarify this to make your decision, and she owes it to both your new band and her old band to make it clear.

12. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I love rockabilly, so I would take the gig. There seems to be no culpability in this matter, on your end. Free your mind of the guilt my man!

13. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yep: you tried to help them when you were still with the band, but they wouldn't listen. Now, someone's going to take that gig. As long as the gig is worth taking, it might as well be you.

14. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I understand your quandary. However, I suggest you look at it is way:

You are out of the old band. The old band has lost that gig and there's nothing you have done wrong, and nothing you can do about that. The venue is out of a band. If you agree to do this you're giving her an opportunity to stay on at tha gig, you're giving your new group a gig, and you're filling an opening that needs filled. And... you're taking nothing away from your old bandmates. In other words you'd be doing a lot of good things and no bad.

Sometimes our sense of obligation to others is unfounded. IMO this is one of one cases. Kudos for having the feeling, but let it go. Be nice and professional to them and odds are they won't hold it against you. If they do that's their problem.

Good luck and here's hoping you're on the path to a great run with your new group!!

15. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    That's not a quandary. Just join the new band. Your life does not revolve around that guitarist and his love of volume.

16. I would do it just to have the opportunity to ask Mr. Guitar,"Have you learned your lesson yet?"

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Your little angel guy & little devil guy are deeply confused. I could readily accept that gig - and my little angel guy would not lose a minute of sleep over it.

Consider for a moment that you are in this position of opportunity precisely because you have conducted yourself professionally, i.e. bailing out of the previous band because they were unprofessional, landing this new gig because your new band IS professional, etc. Are you going to throw that all away, just because someone might resent you due to it? Will you continue to grant veto power over your own success to other people? :eyebrow:

Welcome to the real world of the music biz. Grab that gig - ASAP - play your little hearts out, and don't give the "ethics" of the situation another thought.

Save all your ethical hand-wringing for a situation that really deserves it. This ain't it... :rollno:

MM

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I agree with those that do not see a quandry... you left them for said issues... said issues caught up with them and destroyed that band... like many players before you have done, you salvage the best working parts and make something new and better. It is not your fault or responsibility the guitarist couldn't learn to play with others, the only person in the cold is the old drummer, who may or may not have this coming... I don't know.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Guitarist who play loud and won't turn down when many others, especially bar owners, tell them to alienate me. I'd do that gig in a second.

20. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Screw that guitarist and screw the guys that turned up rather than booting him out. You don't owe none of them losers nothin'.