1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In a Cab, what's a 'radiator'?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TwentyHz, Nov 7, 2018.

1. TwentyHz

TwentyHz Supporting Member

In a Cab, what's a 'radiator'? Apparently it's not a driver. Is it a port? Searched TB, came up empty.
    Saw it here.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/d/chrome-dome-xb-7-bass-cab/6737767621.html

And I learned a little about Chrome Dome Audio on the last two pages of this thread, where CDA was unfairly caught up in some bad mojo until things were cleared up that it had nothing to do with them:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mikeyswood-buyer-beware.917646/page-24

And, in case the CL ad above disappears, it says/said:

Chrome Dome XB-7 Bass Cab for sale

The XB-7 cabinet is a compact, dual baffle board 7 driver device. Like all loudspeaker systems, this engineered and tuned enclosure should be thought of as an acoustic antenna. It's entire purpose is to convert your amplifiers electrical energy into good vibrations!

These cabinets measure 31 inches wide, 22 inches tall not including feet or casters and 13 inches deep. They weigh in at 75 pounds, give or take depending on options. They fit the back seat of a standard 4 door car.
    The name of the game here is efficiency and response. The XB-7s are phenomenal performers in the studio but were designed primarily with stage use in mind. Their off axis response and near field and long throw performance is superb.

They utilize (2) 12 inch radiators, (3) 10 inch drivers and (2) 6.5 inch sealed back midbass/midrange drivers and an extremely efficient and simple crossover network. There is absolutely no need to spend copious amounts of time and energy developing great harmonically rich tone from your bass rig to have a precision, high fidelity crossover remove all your glorious imperfections!
    The infinite tuning made available by the 2 rear mounted 12 inch long throw radiators gives this cabinet an extremely low and effective usable response curve. It is truly capable of subsonic performance. Adding this capability to the very natural and organic mid and lower mid content really produces a winning combination. You can navigate all the way around the cabinet and not experience a tonal shift. Near or far you can hear the same animal.

While this cabinet is of the tuned design, it is also a sealed design. This combines the attractive characteristics of both.

The form factor was designed to accommodate the abilities of a 350watt vacuum tube bass amplifier and deliver performance exceeding that of the vintage 8x10 cabinets not only in practical power but frequency response.

These cabs pack a punch!

This cab has been only used for in house studio work, Never been out side studio, or toured with.

Cash Sale Only Not interested in trades. Also no money orders, cashiers checks, Pay Pal or Western Union style transactions.

If you see this post then the cab is still for sale.

Please email with any questions, Available to see most any time.

May consider a RESONABLE Offer, and I mean a reasonable one!

Thanks

2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Sort of like a speaker with no voice coil or magnet.

- John

TwentyHz and The Chuck like this.
  3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    TwentyHz and pellomoco14 like this.
  4. "While this cabinet is of the tuned design, it is also a sealed design. This combines the attractive characteristics of both."

"The form factor was designed to accommodate the abilities of a 350watt vacuum tube bass amplifier and deliver performance exceeding that of the vintage 8x10 cabinets not only in practical power but frequency response."

The 12" radiators must be where the smoke comes out from behind the mirrors. :roflmao:

Might be good cabs, IDK. But way too much marketing hype to keep my interest.

5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    A useless waste of size, weight, and cost.

TwentyHz and Stevorebob like this.
  6. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    In theory, the “radiator” served a similar function as a tuned port, in that it broadcast sound from the back of the drivers in a way that complimented the sound coming directly from the drivers. Obviously, the nuts and bolts of the engineering of these radiators is quite different from the details of tuned ports, but the intent is similar.

TwentyHz, gorneyg and Crater like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Passive radiators. Wow. Takes me back to the late 80's with those old Kicker truck boxes that everybody in high school had!

TwentyHz and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Mesa scouts have passibe radiators

Jazz Ad, TwentyHz and lowendrv like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They do indeed. And those cabs move a TON of air for their size.

TwentyHz and Haroldo like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here's the passive radiator on the bottom of the Mesa Scout cab. The 12" cabs have a 10" radiator and the 15" cabs have a 12" radiator.

I own a 15" combo and extension cab. The stack is just stupid loud.
    images.

Jazz Ad, TwentyHz and Helix like this.
  11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Seems like it would be a bunch of tubes you run hot water through to keep your cabinet comfortable at those chilly gigs....:whistle:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I've never had a cab with a passive radiator but I have some smallish home stereo surround speakers that use them. I always thought they were used when a cabinet's small size wouldn't allow for a port that could tune the cabinet low enough (low tunings require longish ports and small cabinets don't have enough interior real estate). But I'm no expert so take that with a big block o' salt. Peace.

TwentyHz and pellomoco14 like this.
  12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This is what makes the Phil Jones Double 4 such a little badass.

13. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    The ad says "radiator" and "driver" when it surely means loudspeaker. Those terms, correctly used, are parts of speakers. Over the years they've become slang for loudspeaker. The radiator itself is the surface of a speaker that moves the air.

TwentyHz and ctmullins like this.
  14. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Next time you take a cab, ask the driver to pull over and open the hood. In front of the engine, you will see a wide, flat, vertical metal device with a cap on the top and a fan to pull air through some cooling fins. That is known as a "radiator" and it helps to cool the engine.

Take a good look, because with electric car fleets soon to take over the world, it won't be long before the radiator is a technology of the past.

15. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    TwentyHz likes this.
  16. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm afraid that's not correct. Part of the problem is that whoever wrote that Craig's List ad doesn't know what he's talking about. He should have said passive radiator, not just radiator. A passive radiator is a driver minus the magnet and voice coil. Drivers and passive radiators are parts of a speaker. The surface of a driver or a passive radiator that moves air is the cone. Another part of the ad that's just plain wrong is this:
    While this cabinet is of the tuned design, it is also a sealed design. This combines the attractive characteristics of both.
    A passive radiator speaker is a tuned design, but it does not work like a sealed cab. It works like a ported cab. You'd see a lot more PR speakers if PRs didn't cost a lot more than a tube or slot, but they do, so you don't.

TwentyHz, Haroldo and BrBss like this.
  17. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Passive radiator. Serves the same purpose as a port in a ported enclosure. It is a mass that resonates at a particular freq. just like the air in the port. At that freq it radiates sound passively with no electrical connection. Just like a port.

TwentyHz, bobcruz and BrBss like this.
  18. WardEarth

WardEarth Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Anchormanville, CA
    I think that its slightly different than a port in that it is a closed surface, probably has significant resistance vs just air. Right?
    So maybe it is the middle ground between a sealed and ported cab, but really I think all 3 are fairly different.

TwentyHz likes this.
  19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Well, their site is not up and running to check, but it seems from the description that it has three 10" speakers and two 12 inch passive radiators and a sealed midrange speaker. You just do see the use of the passives too often - it may be a cost issue.

TwentyHz likes this.
  20. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    "In the same way as a ported loudspeaker, a passive radiator system uses the sound otherwise trapped in the enclosure to excite a resonance that makes it easier for the speaker system to create the deepest pitches" - Passive radiator (speaker) - Wikipedia

TwentyHz likes this.