1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In a panic! Need advice.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sound of bass, Apr 26, 2009.

1. First, let me say thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice you can passon, Ive learned a ton from TB but Im really puzzled. 2 days ago I was playing my MIK Fender Jazz (active pu's), that I bought from GC exactly a year ago, with no problems until now. While playing, the bass went dead, no problem I thought...needs a new 9v battery, I bought a new battery the next day but no chance to play. Yesterday, forgetting all about the battery, I started to play for about 20 minutes, took a bathroom break, picked up the bass.....NOTHING! OOh, I forgot about the new battery! Put that one in and still NOTHING! I checked the amp/cord with other basses, and they work fine. The old battery and the new battery are good as tested by licking (ouch!) and placing in other toys. What could have happened? This is a very low abuse bass but its my main player, my best sounder and Im freaked! I checked under the back cover plate for a loose wire or.....something but everything seems secure. Also the pu's are bass lines, if that matters. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and rock on!

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    check the wires going into the input jack very carefully, also check the battery wires.

Is there any sound at all when you turn the knobs or move stuff around or is it completely dead?

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I'd guess it's some sort of a loose wire. Take it to a technician and have him check the solders and wires as well as measure the pickups. He will be able to identify where the problem lies and correct it too. I am not familiar if this bass has an active/passive ption, but if there is only active then it may be a chance of the preamp going dead (preamp replacement then)

VERY highly unlikely is the event of a broken wire within the pickup(s), warranting pickup replacement

4. Its completely dead no matter what Ive tried. The battery connections are tight, and the amp "pops" when the battery is taken in / out (proving power?) Ive tried jiggling wires while strumming a string to see if any wire was frayed or loose but NOTHING! It just stopped playing out of nowhere and Im really bummed. I hope Im not out 6 bills for only a year worth of playing. I will pay more attention to the input jack though, thanks for your help.

5. Yes, this bass has active/passive switch, which has always worked fine but I usually play in passive mode. Are blown pre amps common? I wont be gigging until late summer so its only played in my small apartment, low volume and not abused at all. I hope to use it for gigging, its an ass kick sounding bass with many different tone options......Im going to cry.

6. it is a poor connection or loose wire. I had one that did the same thing.
    Mic Nuggette'

7. Hmm, thanks, I'll keep checking but cant find anything loose so far. Im starting to think its black magic and someone put a hex on it!

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    If it were a blown preamp, the bass would function properly in the passive mode. It could even be a broken active/passive switch

9. Makes sense, but what baffles me is this is a zero abuse bass, the active / passive switch is nearly never touched, low volume,not thrown around, how could it just "Stop working"? Im now going to rip out all my hair! This sucks! And no spare bucks right now for tech. assessment. I dont know what else to try at this point.

10. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Dude, it's a bass. There isn't that much in there that can go wrong. I don't know where you live, but around here, a tech would charge about $50 or less to fix your bass. Spare bucks? Sell one of your "toys" if that's what it's going to take to keep you from ripping out all of your hair.

11. I've once had pretty much the exact same problem with an active Fender. Brought it to a tech and he replaced one of the tone pots. Fixed everything and it only cost $30 for parts and labor.

12. Whew! Thats a relief! Even poor ol' me could afford that. Thanks alot for that.

13. Its not looking good so far. I took my bass to a local tech and explained the problem, after about 20 minutes, he is STUMPED!! Has no idea what the problem could be. He's going to try and find the wiring schematic on Fenders website and go from there. The only thing he has yet to check is the pu's, once he digs for the wiring to them, but its rare for both pu's to just quit. Do you folks have any other possible ideas for a bass to just quit? I dont know what to do from here and thanks.

14. I'd guess it's the preamp, since it lets out a 'pop' when connecting the battery, this proves the jack works.. could be simply a bad pot- if it's a master volume/blend setup the vol pot would shut you down if it goes bad. This is somewhat rare though, for a pot to suddenly quit working completely. But pots are easy to test/replace.
    Another easy test would be to connect the pickups directly to the jack, one at a time, to verify they work(likely). If so, and the pots check out OK, it's the pre. If you need a new one, there are many available, or just wire it up for passive use. That option is cheapest, and probably will sound better than the original pre.

15. Hmm, interesting, and logical. I had to leave it with him, and I'll give him about a week to get back to me, and I'll suggest what you say. Thanks for that info, its really appreciated. I spent the last 20 yrs playing / learning and never really paid much attention to the electronics of it all, but will now start to learn more about it.

16. Well, its been a week, and I havent heard from this tech at all. I assume whatever the problem is, its over his head. On Monday Im just going to get it and say thanks but no thanks. I think our local GC does tech work, but with all the horror stories, a few my own, Im reluctant to take it there. Im also considering trading it as is,(possible?) but if its a simple fix Id be letting go of one awesome bass for no good reason. What would you bassers suggest?

17. Im at work now, there is a lcal music store across the street with several used basses in the window, but several Ive never heard of. Is anyone familiar with New York Pro? Its 135.00 used, the pu's are plain black, cant tell the mfg. Also a Cruise? Its an interesting shade of blue with matching head, 4 string, 2 neck pu's and 1 bridge pu, 150.00. Theres also a Warwick Corvette used for 295.00 in a creme color but I dont like the "round" body type. Anything you know on these basses, and if they're worth it, would be appreciated, thanks.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do NOT trade as is! You will get next to nothing for it. And besides, you like it. You will take much less of a hit (money wise) even if you have to replace the entire preamp. Just calm down and see what the tech says. Best of luck!

19. Thanks for your support two fingers. People in my life are tired of hearing me whine about it, I have other basses to play, but its not the same, Im a paramedic and even here at work I cant think of anything else but my silent bass and what the problem could be. Arrghh!!! Driving me crazy. Thankfully TB is here to help vent.

20. So, its been 2 weeks and I havent heard from the "tech guy" at all! I went to pick up my bass, he told me he couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. When I looked inside the case, the bass and strap were exactly the way I left them when I left the bass with him. Meaning he never even took it out of the case for 2 weeks!!! It was obviously over his head and Im pissed that he wasted so much of my time! I gave him nothing for his trouble, picked up my case and left. Need to find a qualified tech.....somewhere.....somehow. Thanks TB for hearing my rant once more. Rock on.