Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in a pickle, which bass should i buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kearney, Jul 5, 2004.

1. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    hi, im getting a new bass, but i cant decide wich.

i currently have an ibanez tr50

i wanna get either a p-bass or an ibanez artcore semihollow

heres what i think, but im probably wrong, i have some wierd theorys,

that the artcore will probably have the same neck as my current bass, because they are both ibanezes

also that p-basses seem to be made in every size imaginable, i tried my friends's squier pbass and the neck was way fat, then tried a real used pbass and the neck was the exact same size as the neck i usually play,, but the frets seemed very spacious,

please correct my theorys and try to help me decide which bass will be right for me

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if the p-bass neck is too fat for you, try a jazz bass. it'll give you more tonal options than a P will as well, and they can had for about the same price.

3. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i tried a p bass, and the neck seemed perfectly sized, but it seems from looking at p basses that each has its own size and it looks that no 2 are the same

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's not QUITE accurate. There are really just a few variables in shape and two basic sizes amongst Fender necks.

Some P basses have J necks. That's what leads to the most confusion on this subject. To make it extra weird, some J's have P necks(Hoppus) The big difference is in the taper of the neck. The J has a hard taper, with a much narrower nut, and the same heel width as a P. The P has less of a taper so it feels bigger in the lower register. Now some necks have a different profile, that is the shape of the back of the neck is different from one year to the next, or one reissue to another. But that is not so common a problem. If you liked a '03 MIA Standard P, but didn't like the '04 MIM Deluxe P, look for another '03 MIA Standard.

They're out there. If you want to search for a bass, Fenders are the easiest ones to find.

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    dag, im soo confused, whats MIM and MIA and taper and what does feels bigger in the lower register

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Sorry, man.

MIM = Made In Mexico
    MIA = Made In America
    Taper = the change in width of an object along its length. For example, the width at the nut on my Jazz bass is only 1 1/2". The width at the nut on my P bass is 1 11/16". But at the heel, they are the same size. So the jazz has a greater taper, changing from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" along its length than the P, which goes from 1 11/16" to 2 1/2" along its length.
    "feels bigger in the lower register" = just referring to the thicker feel down near the nut caused by the neck being wider.

If I still don't make sense, write back. I will find a way to make it work for you. Or I will get really frustrated and resort to personal attacks. Either wat it ought to be fun.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Also note -- Ibanez necks vary greatly. The Soundgear basses have very thin necks, whereas the BTB basses have wider necks.