Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In a rut ? get a different gig !

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by =^..^=, Nov 14, 2003.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Just had one of my best ever gigs tonight - I've been playing a lot of gigs recently with one band or another and its got kinda samey. Different band, different music, but it all ends up the same at the end of the night..

Anyway, a month ago I got an email from a Jackie a female vocalist I know looking for a bass player to back her at an acoustic night. I couldn't make that one due to prior commitments but as its a monthly gig I made sure that I was free for the next one.

She sent me the tracks last week but wasn't sure about how to play them and sing on her guitar. So she suggested that she just sang over my bass line for one number and dropped in and out on the next one.

We had a quick run through and I borrowed a URB (mine is still in transit) for the gig.

Turned up tonight and the place was packed. maybe 10 acts on each doing four numbers. No running order it was just whoever shouted the loudest got on next. The only problem was the 'stage' was through the crowd - and there was no way I could carry a URB through it. So one quick trip home later I had my electric UB. We were about the ninth act on.

What a great time. I got to hold the whole act together and impress people without really doing anything other than what a bass player does.

One of the other singers came up afterwards and said it took him 2/3 of the first song to realise that it was just a bass playing (there were a few flat slaps just to keep the feel going). I'd guess I got more comments about my playing from one gig than I normally get from 20.

Top night. I'm really stoked :)

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Excellent! And I totally agree on shaking up the gigs now and then. As it happens, this Sunday night I'm playing a concert with a singer/songwriter at church and she wants to do one of her 'signature' songs as a bass/vocal duet. I'm pretty pumped about it...

-robert

3. Sounds like a great gig... Congratulations!!!

Have you heard John Lester? www.johnlestermusic.com Bass and vocal. Nice writing, great tunes, simple arrangements. Worth checking out.