1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In a Spector 5, EMG TW/P or DC/CS? POLL!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrpillow, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TW/P

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. DC/CS

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. mrpillow

mrpillow

Jun 1, 2008
    Montgomery, TX
    I'm looking to put some good pickups in my Spector Legend Custom and I want to get the traditional Spector grind tone. I was thinking TW/P since I could switch the TW from J to CS and combine with the P for the Spector P/J sound, or would the good ol' DC/CS suit me better? Either one will be combined with the 3-band 2-pot EMG BQC control setup, unless you can recommend a better 2-pot 3-band EQ for around the same price!

Controls would be vol-vol-bass/treble-stacked mid for the DC/CS, or vol(pushpull CS/J)-vol-bass/treble-stacked mid for the TW/P

Which would you prefer in your Spector or similar bass?

If it helps any I play heavier music in low tunings, maybe that will influence your decision one way or another!

2. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Neither.

Get two DC's.

3. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    dean owens recently put a P/TW setup in his Rebop, maybe he'll impart some knowledge.

4. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    now why did you have to go and bring me into the discussion? ;)

i'm not sure i'm going to be much help. i can tell you my experience so far. i have an alder rebop. it came with HZ's and a tonepump. i liked it, but wanted a little more clarity and bite... something a little closer to the "traditional" spector tone. and when i think of spector tone i think of a P/J setup. i've read all the DC/CS posts, but really thought i'd like the P/J setup.

anyway, i took out the HZ's and tonepump and put in a 40P5 (neck), a 40TW (bridge) and a BQC control. i've had this setup for about a month and my initial reaction has been mixed.

i'll start with the bad...
    i mainly play in church. they have one of those cheap nasty sounding ampeg 1x15 combos. the original HZ's/tonepump sounded pretty good through it - a lot of power and presence. but i have yet to be able to get a good solid tone that puts a smile on my face, is balanced with all five strings, and sits well in the mix with this current setup. this has caused me to be on the lookout for a decent priced used DC to see if that'd be more to my liking. also, at least for me, the 40P5 is a much stronger pup that the 40TW. to have a balanced output i have the "J" coil all the way up and the 40P5 about 1/3 - a half. then when i engage the "CS" that one is set about 3/4. that's a little annoying.

the good...
    i have a little crate power block that i bought a year or so ago as a backup for my guitar amp... in case a tube were to go or something, i'd have this little head that i could plug in and keep going. i've been using it to practice my bass playing recently because it has a AV - CD input on the back so i can plug up my ipod and practice. i have really been liking what i'm getting out of this head (through my headphones). so much so that i'm wondering if this could be the setup for me. i spent a lot of time the other night using the "J" coil and playing with the P/J setup. i was playing along with skid row and getting some nice fat, deep, biting tones out of it.

i'm still not completely satisfied. and i'm still on the lookout for a 40DC to try out.

the 40P5/40TW/BQC isn't a bad setup. but i'm not sure it's everything i want it to be. the more i have it, the more i like it. and if i could get a good tone out of the amp at church i'd be real happy.

so, was that the most vague, non-helpful waste of a post or what. :eyebrow: blame the captain. he's the one that brought me into it. :D

5. mrpillow

mrpillow

Jun 1, 2008
    Montgomery, TX
    I wasn't very sure of the TW in the bridge honestly...seems like more of a neck option with the CS switch. I want the P in the neck for sure, but I can't decided between the DC or TW for the bridge. After your post I'm leaning DC, it'd also save me the trouble of a push/pull volume!

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That was always my complaint. I used 40-P5's and 40-J's for years. The J wasn't loud enough. Though they are close, it should be louder to compensate for the locations, since the closer to the bridge you get, the string have less motion. Then the DC was way louder than both of them. It wouldn't be hard for them to make the levels similar since they have preamps inside.

You could wire up some 100K trim pots to adjust the levels. Also keep the P5 a little lower from the strings.

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I thought it was informative. :p

You might also want to check out SGD's pickups. I've been thinking about putting a couple in my Legend.