1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In all fairness (Re: eBay Fender/Squier)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buskman, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    The posting is in regard to the thread below:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411079

It seems like this whole issue has gotten WAY out of hand. It was not my intention to have the charachter of the TB'er in question attacked. I do not know him personally, so it would be unfair for me to pass that sort of judgement off on somebody.

On top of that, he changed the listing. According to him, he initially fell victim to the sort of thing which was the basis of my original post: purchasing something that wasn't what it appeared to be. The fact that the description in the listing (as well as the asking price) has been changed is good enough for me.

I would ask that the Moderators consider deleting the abovementioned thread - I believe the whoile thing was worth addressing, but it seems that a few individuals have gone a little too far, especially in regard to attacking the seller - not as an eBay'er or as a TB'er, but as a person.

I do feel slightly responsible (being as I started the thread), so I feel as a community we should "lay off" and put this whole thing to rest... and get back to more important matters - like GAS pains! :D

Thanks.

2. Well, I respect your desire to make peace, but this guy is no saint. All the evidence has come together (along with his arrogant and spiteful attitude) to paint a very clear picture: He indeed does scam people, and your previous thread is doing justice by bringing it to light.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. Buskman, your initial post to the previous thread was just fine - necessary, in fact. We TBers are a community, and your initial post was definitely for the good of the community. I have read the entire thread so far, and the personal attacks didn't start until AFTER the scammer himself tried to bully those who were telling the truth about his activities.

Buskman, please don't feel responsible for any unintended consequences of your initial post. As I said, what you did was fine, honorable and necessary. You were being a GOOD TB citizen.

4. + another 1.

Truly, his actions did need to be disclosed. Had it been a simple mistake or had the seller actually been "duped" as he claims it would have been another story. But this guy is intentionally seeking to rip people off.

Kudos to you.

5. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i have been watching this for a while and i think that all that could be said has been said...

however i get a little uneasy with the pack menatlity where you want to continually stone the guy to death...

...i acctually left the fenderforum for this very reason ...

i thought bassplayers were a little cooler on this....i think we all know the truth ...lets just let it be...

6. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    And that makes it ok to go after him? Not in my book!
    It's ok to post a thread about someone trying to scam prople at Ebay but putting up his personal data, finding stories about his health records and him going to prison isn't cool!!!

When he tied to bully TB'ers we had a chance of being the bigger persons and keep it clean. I guess we failed!!!:(

But to the OP; you did the right thing. You adviced your fellow bassplayers about a possible scam. Nothing wrong with that.

I would rather suggest the moderators to clean up the thread!

7. I appreciate your peaceful intentions, but the degree of effort being put behind the "How dare we judge the dishonest, threatening, insulting liar and scammer!" stance seems wildly misappropriated.

8. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    boring.... cant we change the record.:help:

9. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    The prior thread was getting way out of hand, so I requested that the Moderators delete it.

Let's all get back to talking about BASS, people (why we're all here in the first place, right? :smug:)!

Let's all let this whole issue die quietly. It's been addressed (ad nauseum, IMO). End of story.

10. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I dont think the thread should be deleted.

Maybe cleaned up of his personal data and prior health/prison data tha had no right to be posted, what he does with his life was his choice,

but the fact remains it should be there for anyone to see if a search was needed for feedback on a person.

11. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

12. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    People have a right to know about scammers before they get scammed.

That's all I'll say.

13. Looks like it got deleted anyway.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Except for when he lists that '62 jazz he's building as a NOS Custom Classic or an all-original real '62, sometime next year maybe, and somebody comes on here to search and see if the seller is known here.

15. A crook is a crook and should be outed... Whether they are within the community or not(and especially if they are).... And it doesn't matter if he changed his auction.. If someone on here hadn't called him out on that auction, would he ever change it? From the his responses and then Ebay history where it shows he purchased things trying to make that bass look legit, I highly doubt it.

He's trying to rip people off and people should know of his shadiness!!!!

As for the comments about him being in jail or whatever, I guess that may be a bit far. But I dont see anything wrong with his personal info being posted. Like I said before.. He is ripping people off and all should be made aware!

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did he threaten you? just curious, i think the thread should stay open. he's a crook. period. everyone should know about him.

17. "Rule #1: Respect your fellow members

All registered users must address fellow members with the utmost respect at all times.

If you do not address everyone on the board with respect, be prepared to lose your membership."

I don't think the rule says anywhere "No personal attacks unless you feel it's justified". :rollno:

Is the guy a scammer.......I don't know. Is he a top notch person...I don't know. Are YOU top notch people....I don't know. Am I....YOU don't know.

I'm not agreeing with either "side", just sticking to the rules. (I guess I'm prudish that way :D)

18. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1,000 - that's pretty much my stance on the whole thing.

There were no threats - just an attempt on my part to keep the whole 'TalkBass' thing as positive as possible, that's all.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    But he did threaten you. He specifically said he was going to sue you (and a bunch of other people) for libel, he started a whole new thread to make that threat.

20. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I seriously don't agree with the thread being pulled. The attacks on anything outside of his dealings were out of line and should have been removed. The facts however were quite damning and should be kept for public record as to maybe save someone some headaches (and a bit of money in the future).