Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In All Seriousness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NYBassMan, Oct 28, 2003.

1. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    with a walnut body...spalted maple top...wenge neck with macassar ebony fretboard. How much would i really be set back on price of woods. not too much i'm sure. i'm fully confident i can build this bass. i'm going to attempt a 4 string fretted of my own body design. I have all tools but the specialty items ergo the fret tools. my father is on my ass about how much money this bass is going to cost me to build in raw parts. i am hoping it is worth it for me to build it myself. i wanted to keep myself under 600 for everything. that means all woods, electronics and hardware. I'm sure this is possible, but can anyone verify it. those are my wood choices for certain. i'm also figuring on a hipshot A bridge and gotoh tuners. EMG 40 Active pup, oh yeah, and of course your generic input jack edge mounted. Honestly...does anyone have a good estimate so i can show my old man. thanks a million.

anthony

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    walnut body...probably $70 to $100 depending on grain and precise specie

Spalted maple top...from $30 on ebay to $80 for better quality. You'll find some tops up to $130...

Wenge neck blank $20 to $30 dollar (no neck through)

Macassar ebony board around $40

My advice is to contact Larry at galleryhardwoods.com and give him specifics and dimensions as he can give you a quote on the whole stuff.

Peace, JP

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Make sure you have good ventilation and good masks when sanding the Spalted Maple wood. There are a lot of fungal spores in the wood still alive looking for a good home in your lungs.

If your wood shop is in your basement, do your sanding outside. Wood choices sound nice.

4. Also, DO NOT underestimate the respiratory irritation that you can get from Walnut dust. That seems to be my own personal little PITA.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Walnut dust also makes a great herbacide.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Let me say "ditto" on what's already been said about the spalt dust (very bad stuff) and Larry at Gallery.

In my neck of the woods, wenge is more expensive than JP's estimate and walnut is less expensive.

My recommendation is to price out all the hardware and electronics and budget your wood around that. In a pinch, you could swap out some of the expensive woods and get in under $50. But, if you manage to get the parts with $150-200 to spare, then I'd think you could get just what you want from Larry. Don't forget to factor in strings, truss rod, shielding for the cavity, a nut, fret wire, and all the little things that bump your budget up.

7. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    thanks for the speedy reply. just out of curiousity, does anyone know where i can pick up the electronics and all the other goodies BUT the wood for a decent price. Thanks again. I have set up my massive dust protector today..lol..couldn't be any worse than the pack or Marlboro Reds I smoke a day. hahaha. talk to you soon.

anthony

8. you can get pretty much all the actual parts you'll need at www.stewmac.com
    you may need to get the pickups from somewhere else though

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Jack Read can probably get you everything you need, part-wise. www.readcustom.com

While you're at it, buy one of his preamps. Real nice preamp.

10. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Ditto on the last part. StewMac only offers EMG Select in P and J (the el' cheapos, apparently) and EMG HZ's in soapbar style, (the not quite so el'cheapos). I'm building a fretless P/J hybrid and snagged the EMG Select set, posted about'em in Pickups, and everyone hollered about getting "real" EMG's instead. :D You could also look around WD for parts. Have at it.

-RH