1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In an attempt to simplify the coumpound angle scarf joint>>

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by suraj, Jan 1, 2012.

1. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    So for the last two days, I've been stuck on autocad to get the perfect compound scarf, but I realize it just not possible to keep neck lams running straight, unless you start out with a really thick neck blank..

So to simplify this process, I just thought why not cut the compound angle on the neck blank, and then glue on a solid one piece headstock piece and sand or plane it flush with neck blanks top flat face :meh: and maybe put some layers of veneer to make it look pretty.

I feel this will work, but since I lack the experience, I just wanted to know if im headed in the right direction..! :help:

2. Sounds like a plan. Besides, you'll probably add a veneer onto the headstock to hide the scarf joint anyway.

3. Sounds like how I would do it.

lowsound

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Are you talking about the compound-angle scarf joint that results from a multiscale neck? If so, you are correct, there is no way to get vertical laminate lines to line up, unless you were to taper the thickness of the neck before jointing, have a flat back of the neck, and have no volute.

Which is why it makes sense to go with a solid headstock piece.

Should also have found that, unlike a conventional scarf where you cut and flip, wasting no wood, with the compound scarf there is a big odd triangular piece that would be cut out and thrown away requiring an extra 4-6" of neck beam to work with.

6. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    ^^ yeah exactly, and still the neck lams would align..I thought I could do a regular scarf with a thick neck blank, and use a router jig to get the compound angle, and then thickness sand the back of the headstock, to be parallel to the headstock face. But the neck blank for this would have to be about 3/8 thicker to get about 1/2 for the headstock thickness..
    My neck blank is about 21mm thick so I will go with a one piece headstock..

Thanks to all for chiming in :)