Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"In" Basses Vs. "Out" basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Jul 3, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I was thinking today about how there are Bass "fads" just like there are clothing and culture "fads". Right now for example, Sadowsky is the bass to have. Another real popular brand is Lakland.

When I first came to TB it seems that Warwicks were the "in" basses. Now they have moved out of the spotlight somewhat. Warwicks are still the same great basses they were, but they just aren't in public favor like they once were.

So, what great basses are out there that you just don't hear about? I want to know what names I should look out for at the music store, the has beens that are great basses still, but aren't in demand at the moment and are hiding in some back corner.

Also, what do you think is going to replace Sadowsky/Lakland as the "in" bass? (keeping in mind their price ranges)

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Fenders J,s & P,s are the all times most in,s bass ever :bassist:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez Soundgear's are WAY OUT. Basses that sold for $500 or $600 a couple years ago have been selling for under two bills. If I didn't aim for a vintage vibe I'd pick a few up.

I don't really think anything will ever replace Sadowsky as the dream bass thats just shy of Boutique.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for FunkyTune.

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    My "in" bass:

Valenti custom 4

My "out" bass: Alembic Essence 4

The Essence is hands down one of the best kept secrets in bass.

6. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I was considering that as a given. Fender J & P will always be "in" basses.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    There will be a Gibson phase within 10 years I bet.

Out basses: BC Rich. 1987 is over.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Idk about the gibson thing but

G&Ls are good enough to become popular, they are already a growing secret.

Musicman basses are great, and i stand by them as my favorite brand, just for overal quality and i love that tone. I think they are definitely growing in popularity and thats good bc theyve been around for a long time and still are very popular. I think in the popular bands of today, the most used basses ive seen are Musicman and Fender.

As far as basses that are out of the spotlight, spectors arent as popular as they once were.

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

That, though, is exactly why the Sadowsky's, Lakland's, Lull's, etc. of the world will also likely STAY "in" basses. These guys make basses in the mold of the fender mold, but with much more attention to detail on all levels than your typical production fender bass.

There's always gonna be a need for that fender sound and feel, as long as certain styles of music exist. And as such, there will always be a market for the high end "fender knock offs."

I am a huge fan of Sadowsky. Not because it's "in", but because it fits exactly what I wanted in a bass. I own one now, and all I can say is that I would like to get another one or three someday.

Gotta agree with the person saying Ibanez is an "out" bass. I played an Ibanez as my #1 for many years that I loved, and I have heard nothing but bad talk about them on here.

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah but it seems to me that these bass "fads" you speak of only really exist here at TB or maybe HC, so how important is that once you leave these websites? Do the patrons at the clubs we gig at, or even the members of our bands actually care what basses we play? Probably not. About 90% of the times I go to a club with live music, I still see mostly Fender P's or J's.

That said, I myself think the Carvin LB70 has always been an extremely underrated bass. Seeing how I currently own three of them, I can see why others might think I'm a little biased though.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    In the last 15-18 years bass playing and the bass in general has become much more popular and the number of options out there reflect it. Anything(new) that is out there must have some sort of market or they would not be around. In general, Ibanez/Yamaha "out", the Graphite market seems to be "drying-up" a bit, Everything Else is "in" depending on who you are.

Dingwall, should be more "in" :ninja:

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Sadowsky,s are goods basses but the vast mayority of bassists in this world can,t pay for them,including musicians,they believe in Fenders reputation since the 50,s and no other brand have the feed back than Fender have,oh excuse me but Music Man have amazing reputation too and they have good instruments,the Modulus Flea Bass can,t compete with StingRay for the same factor..price..most musician belive in Music Man and they use StingRays more than Modulus because for thep rice and reputation you can,t loose with Music Man,same situation,Fneder and Music Man stay here for long,long time and they are the basses for the poor guys like me,and they still having nice instruments,including pro,s and millionaries believe in Fenders and Music Man,s basses....just my two cents and i love a good bass when this bass is a not rich guy bass. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

13. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    There's this dude, that lives in Raleigh, NC< that hand makes all his guitars and basses. I've play some of each in the past and they beat anything I've ever played. Hands down. I just wish I could remember his name...

14. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Those are two examples that I was thinking of when I created this post. I think Dingwall will make a surge soon. (which is why I need to hurry up and get one before demand skyrockets).

I would also like to take this opportunity to encourage you to keep this thread on track. Let's not start a fender Vs. sadowsky fight, and don't get offended if your bass gets called an "out" bass.

15. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Rascal? Right?

16. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    That might be it...it did start with an "R" and was only the one name.

[edit in]

Actually, no. But you made me remember it. Roscoe.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "In" bass: a bass that's played by someone good. "Out" bass: one that's played by someone who's not so good.

18. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Music Man basses of all sorts seem to be "in" these days. Warwicks are the most recent "out" it seems, although I've always found them to be great basses.

19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    This is fun. I'm usually an advocate of the "everybody's view is right" but I'm going to try to list what I CONSIDER to be MY OWN hierarchy of brands, based on what I see and read here on TB. So when I come back a year from now, I can see how much MY OWN views have changed! Yay! A Time Capsule!

In--The "Hot" basses on TB RIGHT NOW:
    Sadowsky
    Musicman
    MIJ Fender
    Lakland USA
    F Bass

In-Between--I'd never feel ashamed to play a:
    Ken Smith
    Lakland Skyline
    Roscoe
    MIM Fender
    Mike Lull
    Modulus
    MTD
    Alembic
    Elrick
    Rickenbacker
    Warwick (pre-1997)
    Conklin (USA)
    Zon

Out--Basses I'd feel like I have to apologize for, without knowing why:
    MIA Fender (post-1990)
    Warwick (post-1997)
    Pedulla
    G&L (sorry to all you G&L nuts out there)
    Ibanez
    Peavey
    Spector
    Warmoth
    Carvin
    Conklin (Groove Tools)

20. RagingPenguin

RagingPenguin

Jul 3, 2005
    Sorry, but whenever I see one, I think "Pedulla Oblongata". Therefore never touch them. Stupid reason I know...