1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In between strings right now...??? DR high beams?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by descendent22, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    last year around this time I went through a period where I was searching for the right strings for me. After basically trying out a bunch of different brands, gauges and whatever else I ended up really liking and using earnie ball cobalt rounds 45-100. I don't like flat wounds and I won't use them. But now I'm at a point again where I'm questioning the cobalts as far as tone goes. Before the cobalts I used roto sound nickels, and I can honestly say that those were my favorite tone from a string but they weren't flexible enough or actually rotos aren't flexible at all. I play both with my fingers and a pick, depending on the song and tone I'm going for. I have cobalts on my jazz bass but I recently out daddorio flex wounds on my precision bass. The cobalts I'm content with on the jazz but for my p bass it's different. First of all the cobalts have the flexibility and tone I'm looking for, but when it comes to my p bass I'm looking for something a little brighter but just as flexible.

Question:
    Is there roto sound strings that are flexible? And don't tell me to get a lighter gauge cause that doesn't matter with rotos. Also dR high beams, what are those like? And can anyone recommend a good flexible, string?

Oldschool94 likes this.
  2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I'd do the Hi-Beams. I have tried other strings as of late, but nothing seems to keep me to want to stray from Hi-Beams permanently. To my fingers, they are good for flexibility.

As for the Rotos, I'm not sure how flexible all of their strings are. I have used the 35-90 66 set and have no issues with roughness or flexibility.

jimmyjames77 and DwaynieAD like this.
  3. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Thank you,dr high beams are one strings brand I never tried out and I been eyeing them at GC, so maybe today I'll be a set. As far as the rotos,35-90 gauge is to light for my liking. I try not to go any lower then 45,65,80,100. Actually that is the gauge I prefer.

4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    For most players I think 35-90 is a bit light. Go with what gauge you want to. I do not think you will be disappointed.

5. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    DR sunbeams are a little flexible and come in the guage
    45-100
    And are nickels.

bmac314 and Lee Moses like this.
  6. I love light gage High Beams. Great tone and they last a long time.

7. dls119

dls119

Jun 27, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I like DR's Hi, Fat, and Sun Beams, but My jazz bass looooves the Fat Beams. I've found them to be bright, poppy, and durable.

eriky4003 likes this.
  8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hi Beams are still my #1 go-to, though I haven't gotten the new Dunlops on a bass yet to try them, and I also really like the DR Pure Blues. Me, I don't like the light gauges so much, though I have one bass with them on for messing with bending and such.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop SuperBrights are the answer, and they are on sale right now for $11.29 (4 string set) at Bass Strings Online. The steels are very similar to HiBeams but I prefer the nickels. SuperBrights are the most flexible string I've ever used.

pedroims, Bodeanly and eriky4003 like this.
  10. sonojono

sonojono Formerly Known as Astralbirth Supporting Member

I was waiting for you to show up :thumbsup:

11. sonojono

sonojono Formerly Known as Astralbirth Supporting Member

As far as flexibility goes the Dunlop Superbrights that bingo mentioned are good. I also really liked one of the GHS strings "Infinity Steel" that bass strings online offers and is on sale for $7!

I really love the Infinity Steel strings, it's got clean highs and good lows. Very flexible too on the medium lite gauge 40-102 but after a string up the gauges feel as if I'm playing a 40-60-80-100 gauge. Really solid bass string for the ridiculously low price of $7!

Dean Markley Blue Steel medium gauge strings are also a nice addition to the list of flexible string department.

H2okie likes this.
  12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I have sung the praises of DR Pure Blues ever since I bought my first pack, and now I'm addicted! They sound incredible when brand new, and they sound even better as they age. These aren't flats, either!

DR Pure Blues!!!

I'm on my first set, but I have a second pack as my backup and I plan to buy a third one. Can't get enough!!

Is there a patch, or gum, or something?

singlemalt likes this.
  13. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Exactly. O.P., if you prefer nickels I'm not sure why you'd look at Hi Beams. If you want flexible DR nickels, you want Sunbeams. The Dunlop Superbrights would be another possibility.

14. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Ya know, a few people have mentioned the sun beams to me.i just can't find them at any guitar center or samash here in Connecticut. I have to order them which is inconvenient. But I m most likely going to order them.

15. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    The roto sound nickels sound so good,sound better then any nickel I've played. I think I'm going to give the hi beams, and sun beams a go. Like I said the only thing preventing me from rotosound nickels are the non flexibility. Now I do like playing with a pick as much as my fingers so something to flexible doesn't work well with a pick. Atleast for me it doesn't. When it comes to sun beams or high beams do they go well with a pick player?

16. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I found Hi Beams quite a bit brighter than Rotosound nickels. If you like Rotosound nickels, Hi Beams might be going too far.

My local GC also stopped carrying Sunbeams last year or so, but I too think those might be a better fit for what you described.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Best place to order them is www.bassstringsonline.com

You can also order Dunlop Super Brights there....better strings, half the price :)

18. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I don't believe you can go wrong with DR Strings. I used them exclusively as a guitarist, and I now use them exclusively as a bassist. IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

19. DR hi beam / sunbeam
    Or
    Dunlop super bright steel / nickel

Both similar and excellent but dunlop is cheaper

AstralBirth likes this.
  20. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've had good luck with blue steel. Consistent sounding. Trying Warwick black label shortly.

AstralBirth likes this.