1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In-car GPS for courier?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by phatbass, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Hi guys. I recently got a "real" job as a courier delivering and picking up stuff around the city and I'm looking for a new in-car GPS.

I thought some of you would be a lot more knowledgeable and experienced about what's currently available. The shop dudes I've spoken to can quote the brochure well but don't actually seem to know anything...

My current unit (Garmin Nuvi 1450T) is fine for normal use and I can certainly get by with it, but a couple of features would make it a lot more useful in my new job.

It should have around a 5" screen (the ol' eyes ain't what they used to be) and straight-forward address entry. I don't need Bluetooth/mp3 player/etc.

Price is a bit of an issue; as I said if I have to I can get by with my Garmin so I'm not looking for a total deluxe unit - it's just a tool.

I'd really like:

a) Audible over-speed warning. The Garmin gives a visual warning when I'm over the limit, but I'm not driving along with my eyes glued to the GPS, so although it's not make-or-break essential, a beep or other audible warning would be a lot better.

b) The ability to put in 15-20 waypoints (more would be better) and have the unit calculate a suitable time-efficient route to cover them all. This is the main thing I want and would be the feature that makes me replace my old garmin unit.

Thanks guys.

2. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    personally, i don't like the actual dedicated GPS units... i prefer using my phone, with one of the nav apps that're out there specifically for those who's profession is driving. works much better.

3. Are there dedicated GPS devices that use Google Navigator? That really would be something worth paying for.