1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In case you were wondering (car repair content)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. If you see one of these in your tire, an hour before you need to drive 60 miles to a rehearsal, do not remove it. :thumbsup:

image.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    catcauphonic likes this.
  2. 'Cuz then you will try this......

IMG_6822.

3. And this will be the result:

IMG_6823.

Jim Nazium and Immigrant like this.
  4. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Ouch. Even if that stuff stays in the tire, your local tire shop will be displeased with you for sure!

So did you make it to rehearsal? Did you ride your unicycle instead of taking the car?

5. @blastoff99 It got even stupider after that. Unloaded the amp and cab to get the spare and jack, only to find I could only crack one of the lug nuts. W....T.....*?

Did I mention it was raining, BTW?

Drove on flat 1.5 miles to have a garage mount the spare. No charge though, but I tipped him $20.

Ended up an hour late to rehearsal. Ugh!

We played well though, so there is that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  6. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Breaker bar in the trunk, always. Or at least a proper pipe.

But did you have the key to the wheel locks? That's always a good one too.

elgecko and JMacBass65 like this.
  7. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    AAA roadside is the best money ever spent. So cheap for what you get back, assuming you use it

Clark Dark, GregC and JMacBass65 like this.
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's determination to get there. You're hired! Some musicians we've auditioned over the years have had way fewer obstacles and lame excuses as to why they were late or canceled.

Tbone76, JMacBass65 and yodedude2 like this.
  9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Discount tire, it is located two blocks from my house, I will drive and they will repair the tire for free.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  10. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I always keep a small compressor in the trunk...It's a life saver! (Not this one but similar...) $T2eC16Z,%21w4FIZ0cQ-kSBSVMhcp,z%21%7E%7E60_3.

Brundlefly, Pilgrim and JMacBass65 like this.
  11. I felt we needed the work (no me, per say, but I know who I am dealing with), we have a gig on Friday, first since October. Plus - I felt like playing to more than my iPod.

12. You drive 1 1/2 miles on a dead flat radial you've probably damaged the tire.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  13. He's destroyed the tire. Question is whether the wheel can be salvaged. It needs to be inspected carefully.

Good lesson in checking torque on the lug nuts if anyone but you touches them. Use of a torque wrench is not optional.

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  14. I'd never had a flat tire in my life until a couple months ago, when I got two giant bolts in my (almost new) tire exactly parallel with each other, and too close together to be able to be plugged. So, I feel your pain.

15. I think the instructions on the fix-a-flat tell you to position the tire with the hole on top, before spraying that gunk in there.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That one's bitten me in the butt. :atoz:

17. I drove about 8/10 MPH, there is no doubt in my mind the wheel is fine. The tire? Surprisingly the sidewalls still look OK, but it wasn't far from needing to be replaced anyway, so that's what'll happen.

As for the lug nuts - I have only had the car for a year. I had never touched them, so who knows. I know that this is the second time I have had to deal with this recently though. My wives car failed inspection - in need of rear brakes. I said OK - I'll get it done this weekend. Well, the garage put the wheels back on and tightened them so much I couldn't crack the lugs. Had to take it to them to do it after trying with a breaker bar and busting a socket wrench. Absurd.

Nope - exactly the opposite. They said if possible position the tire with the puncture at the bottom.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Everyone should have one of these kits for times like that......

plug.

Bob Lee (QSC) and elgecko like this.
  19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Discount Tire is the very best tire store there is. I've been buying tires from them since 1982. Once when I was living in Portland, OR, and I had a tire self destruct, but I had no money to buy a new tire, the manager gave me a tire they had taken off another car. That got me by until payday. And I had never bought a tire from that location.

pedroims and S-Bigbottom like this.
  20. Went out and got a kit. I can't get the plug in.