1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Concert: Victor Wooten or Stanley Clarke which one would you go see?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LoTone, Jun 27, 2012.

1. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Hello,

This weekend there is the Montreal Jazz Festival. Sadly, on Sunday night, the schedule has Victor Wooten at 6h00pm in one venue and then, the Stanley Clarke Band at 8h00pm in another venue.

I cannot attend both concerts.

Which one would you choose?

-- LoTone

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Stanley is much more than a flashy bass player (no disrespect intended towards the fleet- fingered Mr.Wooten) and I think you will get more musically from seeing him. Plus, my boy Ruslan Sirota is on keys with Stanley, so I'd never get away with skipping his set.

3. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I've seen them both. My vote goes to Victor.

4. Stanley

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've seen both and neither do much for me in their own bands, so I'd pass and have a nice night at home.
    I like the flecktones though and might go see Wooten with them...if it is with howard levy.
    Without levy I'd pass.
    If I got a chance to see stanley clarke with herbie hancock, wayne shorter etc I'd sure go see that. I tried once but stanley clarke cancled and another bassist came instead-It was a great gig!
    If it's between clarke and wooten on their own and Ihad to go to one it would be clarke, I think
    He is just such a huge figure in bass playing.

6. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I have seen them both. But , I think I would pass on Stanley because Vic's show just seems like more fun.

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    Stanley , both great players, but stanley is a better musician, I like to hear stanley works , return to forever is awesome.

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Stanley is still the man, though Victor is unreal as well. Victor's show might be more on the funk side, whereas Stanley's more jazz/fusion. Both would be great. Stanley is my vote if I had to choose.

9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I would chose Stanley Clarke. As much as I respect Victor Wooten for his playing skills I don't like his music.

10. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I've seen both also. Stanley is an awesome upright player. His electric playing is awesomely tasteless though. Victor is a much less schooled player, but if both were playing exclusively electric I would choose to see him(victor).

If it were return to forever, I would see that for the incredible compositions.

Victor is much more than a flash player.

11. Victor, no question. The funny thing is that I like them both better as sidemen but you let Stanley loose on his own and, well, I won't listen to it most times.

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Isn't SMV playing at the Montreal Festival as well? If you go see them you'll see Stanley, Victor and Marcus all at once.
    Vic''s band has 4 bass players (Vic, Steve Bailey, Dave Welsch and Anthony Wellington) and 2 drummers (J D Blair and Derico Watson) so it's in another category altogether. I saw their dress rehearsal in Nashville and it was really cool!
    You have a lot of chances to catch Stanley.
    Thursday
    http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/program/concert.aspx?id=10617
    Friday:
    http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/program/concert.aspx?id=10622
    Saturday:
    http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/program/concert.aspx?id=10622
    Saturday night is SMV with all 3, while Stanley's playing Acoustic Bass with Hiromi on Thursday. If you have the means to do it, you could hit both of Stanley's earlier shows, then SMV and then see the Victor Wooten Band on Sunday (or, since you have already seen SMV and Victor, you can totally overdose on Stanley and see his band on Sunday night). That way you get a LOT of Stanley and Vic's band as well. It's a First World Problem! Have fun! :)

13. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks to everyone for your opinions.

I did see that there was an SMV show. I just might see them there as well but I am also interested to see Victor and Stanley in there own setting. If the schedule would allow it, I would see SMV + Victor + Stanley.

My question pertained to Victor vs. Stanley only because there was a scheduling conflict.

-- LoTone

14. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ^^^This

I've seen them both. My vote goes to Stanley.

15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Ask any bass player that is out there, I mean on that level and they will tell you that Stan is the Man. Stanley is a master, a bassists bassists, and he plays upright as well if not better than he plays electric. Victors show might be more entertaining or fun to watch but when you are in the presence of Stanley Clarke, you are in the presence of Bass Royalty.

16. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'll second Kwesi's comment. Stanley is a GREAT sideman. Romantic Warrior is one of my favorite albums. Seeing him on upright with Hiromi would be wonderful. But his solo stuff (TO ME) just doesn't have much depth.

He is royalty to me too, but I'm evaluating based on performances I've personally seen. I've gotten more musically out of Victor's performances than Stanley's solo electric work.

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Stanley!!!

i've never tired of his work. there is a certain intelligence that most people over-look when he plays. i'm no genius, but i feel smarter after hearing/seeing him play.

after i see/hear Victor,... i just feel regular. :confused:

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    This is like asking "I have a pallet with a 100,000,000 dollars worth of gold, and a pallet with 100,000,000 dollars worth of silver, but only one hi-lo. Which one should I take?"

You're lucky to see either one of those guys! You're also gonna kick yourself for missing the other one.

19. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    What a choice to have to make.

Let me just complicate matters a bit... I caught the Victor Wooten show very early in the tour. This performance by the Victor Wooten band was one of the most moving musical experiences of my life. Four bass players, two drummers, a great vocalist, and excellent tunes. If you see this show you will be seeing Anthony Wellington, Steve Bailey, and Victor in a very musical and intimate performance (as intimate as a festival stage can be, I guess).

Now, Stanley is one of Victor's heroes. Perhaps if you asked Victor, he'd tell you to check out Stanley and vice versa. But having seen the current show that Victor is doing, I would not let anyone miss it.

I guess on the positive side, there is no bad decision to make. Just make sure you get to one of them.

--Steve

[​IMG]

20. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    Have to be Stanley.......never seen him live.