Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In defense of heavy gear....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SubMonkey, Sep 9, 2005.

1. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Just wondering, does anyone else really like their "big rigs" ?

I've been on the forums here for about a year and a half and as a result contracted the dreaded TB-GAS bug. I've read most of the posts regarding newer, smaller, lightweight equipment, and here's what I've ended up with....

Peavey Classic 400 head 97 lbs.
    Ampeg PR-1832HE cab 167 lbs.
    Homebrew parts J-bass 16 lbs.
    Peavey T-40 or Rick 4001 'Nuff said....

anyway, here's the kicker... with pedalboard and cases we're looking at about 300 lbs of gear here... and I'm fine with hauling it. Now don't mistake that for "I like hauling it", but I handle my gear myself, I don't dread it, it takes three trips from the van to the stage, I'm doing about this for about 2 gigs a week these days and I'm still thinking it's worth it.

Now that I've just said that, I fully expect to blow out a disc this weekend... ;)

Anyone else like their monster rig ?

SM

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    NO, I got rid of mine. Once I realized that I coud achieve the same result with lass than half the weight, I got rid of my big rig. At the end of a long night when I finally get home at 3:00 A.M., hauling heavey gear is the last thing I want to do. How does the saying go?... Oh yeah, "Work smarter not harder."

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I'm with seansbrew on this. My vintage SVT & 810 spends most of its time in my studio. i use a 20 lb SS150H most of the time with a 410 & 15 cab, but i am about to change that to a single 212 cab. its plenty loud for me & i think the head sounds killer. once everything is through the PA, which is always for me, there is absoulutely no need for a big rig. i'd play a combo if i found one that worked for me!

4. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I've got my
    SWR Workingman's 4x10" cab 90lbs
    SWR Workingman's 1x15" cab 60lbs
    SWR Workingman's 4004 head with power conditioner 40lbs
    along with a hard case for my pedal board and effects and my Fender Jazz. It's not too bad, about two trips worth. But I don't like to ask for help from my other bandmates, so like you, I'm self efficient.

Try being in a band with two full kit drummers, two guitarists and keyboard player with a Hammond M3, Rhodes, Korg N1, Synth, Wurlitzer and Roland amp. And having the practice spot in the basement! Ack! :smug:

5. Heh, I don't need to defend my rig. It's big enough to defend itself.

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    right on! i use to hate getting home around 3-4 AM and having to lug my gear in. and i only played a 4x10 goliath III with bass 750. i couldnt imagine how these 6x10 or 8x10 guys feel... :spit: thats why im goin with 2x10s and a 12 or two 1x12 cabs. very portable and very loud.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I've recently decided to scale back, not that my rig was huge to begin with but I have back problems. I just sold my Kustom GB1200 which was about 45 - 50 lbs rack with tuner, power cond and two cabs - Avatar 1x12 and 2x10. My new rig is a Aguilar GS212 (2x12) which is on casters and about 70lbs and I plan on getting the new Nemesis NA650 head which is 18 lbs... I now have a pedal tuner along with my other effects. I can haul all of my gear in one trip if there are no steps and that includes 2 basses. Two basses in my Gator two bass gig bag, head and effects (in the pedal board soft bag) on the GS212 which rolls in on castors, dun!!!!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, I find heavier gear usually sounds better. Go figure.

Want badass? Old school Mesa RoadReady 8x10. 210 lbs. THAT is a badass cab.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    +1.3

I have been using a 2x1x15 rig for around the last 10 gigs. It has been pretty pimp. I dont mind lugging around 60lb cabs.

I just upgraded to a 2x4x10 setup and havent gigged with it yet. I am 100% certain it will be less than easy to move and transport. I am also 100% certain it will rock the block :hyper: :D :hyper: like crazy.

I always thought the Ampeg PR-1832HE was a pretty cool cab.

10. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Quad you got rid of your Groove Bass? What gives? It was because of you that I have gas for a GB1200.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Well, gotta agree with Brendan here, all my gear is of the "non-lightweight" variety, BUT, sounds KILLER...

So, I guess I have to stay in shape to not only to maintain myself but my sound...

~S~

PS: Does 10-20+lbs make THAT much of a difference moving compared to sound produced? I know there are limits, but weight is not the primary sales factor, sound IS...

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well I'm glad that I turned so many on to such a great head, but it's time for me to try other things (we all do this). I still love the Kustom, but I'm going for major portability now. My Aggie GS212 cab is not THAT much bigger than my Avatar 2x10 or SB112 and fits in the back seta of my car with ease and rolls on castors (plus CRANKS!) and I'm looking for a good tone, power and light weight head. Just need a change of pace...

13. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Quadzilla,
    Have you tried the Aggie AG-500 yet?
    Pretty sure that is only 18lbs and 500 watts @ 4ohms
    the Aggie 2x12 will love it ! ! !

BTW that is my new rig,
    Bye Bye Ampeg . . . HELLO Aguilar !

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have a back that has given me problems on & off for about 30 years.

I exercise every day.

While I believe that heavy weight in itself is not a virtue, I don't mind some extra workout if the tone difference is there.

My rack is about 45 lbs and cab is about 68 lbs; not super heavy, but not ultra-light.

[Darn you Devilman; ;) I'd still like to try a Crown MA-2402 (which would add about 29 lbs to my rack).]

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :smug:

Peavey Classic 400 ~125lbs in case
    Schroeder 1210 & 1212 ~100lbs combined
    pair of manly ash slabs ~50 combined in cases
    ---------------------------------------------
    Me ~300lbs of big mean guy, smart enough to buy a hand truck!

Plus if I take my time packing out my own gear.... it's less of the PA for me to have to move ;)

Truthfully the tube head is for *me* If/when I'm back to gigging full time, hopefully Basses, Avalon U5 & in ears will be enough to run with the PA.... cause then it's workin'.

16. peavey t max 46 pounds
    peavey tvx 412 148 pounds
    pedal board around 25
    jazz bass in full flight case 30
    precision in case around 18-20
    box of crap around 8

and the only thing with wheels is the 412

plus all other band mates crap

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can be loud with small gear, but you cant get a wall out sound from it.

18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    dont get me wrong, i enjoy having small gear ( i hope to be picking up a nice markbass combo around christmas time)

i guess my accugroove cabs are fairly light, but my 8 space shock case with my power amp and everything else is fairly heavy i guess..

the problem is, i gotta lift this stuff into my lifted up jeep :S

but i do love my sound and wouldn't trrade it for anything

eric

19. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's not about small, it's about light.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You can be loud with light gear, but you cant get a wall of sound from it.