Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IN-DEPTH AMP DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayBass, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Yorkville XM100C $445CDN (NEW)

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. SWR Workingman's 12 $400CDN (USED)

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I've been doing a lot of amp research this summer and it's getting pretty hectic. My budget is from $400-500CDN (either used or new) I've looked at brands from Ampeg to cheap ones like Behringer and noticed you get what you paid for. The next amplifier I want is something that can last me a few years, even if I drop it because I do a lot of travelling. As for durability, I'm attracted to SWR's Workingman series and the Yorkville XM and XS. As for portability, the Fender Bassman 100 owns all in weight, but after careful consideration, I rather have something solid and 25lbs seems to be on the sissy side. That aside, Fender was never really noticed for their amps anyway, just their guitars which I love.

This has come down to the SWR Workingman's 12 (USED) versus the Yorkville XM100C (NEW). Obviously, there is no comparison and the WM's 12 has every edge on the Yorkville, but the only problem is it is $610 CDN which is way over my budget and I can't get those extra dollars. Therefore, I must get a used one which is $400, but I'm kind of paranoid with used equipment. Is it reliable? On the other hand, the Yorkville XM100C is $445 CDN and is purely brand new.

I've noticed SWR has a wonderful reputation in bass amplifiers, and if I had that extra cash I'd buy the new WM's 12 without hesitation. The problem is, I can't go over my budget, because my parents are getting pretty annoyed with me spending all this money on bass equipment.

I play for worship which is usually around 200-300 people. I currently use a Yorkville 50watts and it is fine for worship and slight rock. What should I upgrade to?

Please feel free to suggest any other amps within the $400-500CDN budget, but try to comment on the WM's12 and XM100C. Thanks!

2. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Based on the fact you are in Canada and the budget you're looking at, I would definitely go Yorkville. You get a lot for your money with their amps and any service relaated issues should be a breeze as they are a Canadian company.

3. I'm thinking if you plan on upgrading later when you are making money, going used is better. You get more amp for your money on the front end, and lose less in depreciation on the back end.

Bottom line though, get the one you like the best, sounds the best to you. I'm assuming they're both in the 100 and something watt range, with the same sized speakers?

Randy

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Get the Yorkville. They're reliable and sound good and the price is right. I've used them a lot and prefer them over SWR. And you can't beat the warranty. When you decide to trade up you'll get a good allowance towards your next purchase. I assume you'll be buying it from Long and McQuade?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yorkville. I have NOT been impressed with the SWR WM stuff I've tried.

6. I tried and liked the Roland cube 100. Dont know how much it costs in Canada tough... It is very very powerfull for only 100 watts and also has a very usable line out. Both the COSM amp-modeling and the FFP-feature work like promised (ampsimulation really changes the amps character and FFP really makes this one of the loudest 100 watt combos). I also liked the Yorkville products i tried: great bang for the buck.

7. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Thanks all,

Yes, I do live in Canada and my next purchase will either be from Tom Lee Music or Long and McQuade. Tom Lee doesn't carry any used equipment though, so it would only make sense to buy new products from them. For 100 watts each, I would have thought the SWR would have been a better buy, but I guess I was wrong. Yorkville does have good stuff and I'm really impressed with their 10 year warranty which cannot be compared with any bass amplification company. I am looking for something that's built like a tank.

If I do look at SWR, I guess the LA and WM series aren't any good. What about the Professional Series if I do plan to upgrade later on down the road?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The SWR pro series are a matter of taste. I DON'T care for them. A ton of bass players, more knowledgable and talented than I, DO care for them. They have their own individual sound. I'd try before buying.

9. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I think either of the Yorkvilles would do nicely, and frankly I cannot imagine any reason to buy a used WM12 for more.
    That said, I think you should look at used Yorkvilles. Pretty reliable stuff, and maybe you could get a XM200 used for a little less money? That tweeter and double the power might come in handy one day...

10. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Actually, I wouldn't be spending more money on the used SWR WM's12, because it's only $400. The new Yorkville XM100C is $445, but I thought it was only a small margin anyway so I might as well include the ever so popular SWR in mind.

11. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Ok
    Where I am Yorkvilles are decently priced and SWR is just too expensive to be any fun. I would actually choose a XM200 over a WM15 any day of the week, if they were the same price.

12. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Well, it's good to see a majority strongly defend Yorkville over SWR. Alright, I'll give the Yorkville one more go and actually test out that used WM's12.

Unfortunately, the Roland Cube 100 is too expensive for me. Any other good 100 wattage amps in that price range before I make a huge mistake?

13. LOL, all 100W bass amps are a mistake. They are a gateway drug that leads you to higher powerered amps in the future. But if that's all you can afford right now, pick the one you like best. We've all pretty much gone through that stage at one point or another, some still have that 100W amp for practice situations.... so in that case, it isn't wasted money. You can still use it later instead of hauling the Big Dog you end up gigging with around for practice.

Note I'm not making fun of your choice of amps, I'm saying don't worry about it too much, you'll most likely replace it later on in your career anyway.

Randy

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just going by experience in home audio here, it's not much of a step up in overall loudness when you go from 50 to 100 watts. You might get a bit more headroom though.

15. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    That's true, but 100 watts is always better than 50 watts any day. Well, most of my decision making it due to my low budget and I don't believe I can get over 100 watts of quality with under $500, unless it's used. Some day I'll get a 500 watts, but that day isn't today.

16. As everyone else has said thus far, go for the yorkville without a doubt. I was pretty much in the same dilema you are faced with now, and I opted for the Yorkville XM200T, and let me tell you, theres PLENTY of power in this puppy for any small to medium sized gig. If you want my opinion on my particular amp and Yorkville in general just shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to give you my opinion.

Jared

17. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Thanks again, how long have you had that amp? Personally, I use a Fender Precision and I'm trying to find the best fit of 100watts for my bass.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ashdown, anyone?

-Ray

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really can't comment about yorkville.

my 2 cents.

swr la stuff is garbage, (IMO - ;) ), the pro stuff i like, but it's way outside your budget. i havent really liked the WM series seperate heads and cabs, but some guys i respect swear by them.

IMO, two of the best products swr put out were the WM 12 and the WM 15. The tone of the two is quite different due to the speakers. The 12 has the edge midrange and overall tonewise, the 15 has the edge in room filling bass and overall volume. Also, i belive the 12 can't power an external speaker, but i know the 15 can (i could be wrong about the 12). How much extra would it be to get a 15? I knew one cat who gigged regularly with a wm 15 in medium volume bands and the amp was very impressive. I really haven't gotten the chance to hear the 12 live except maybe once or twice.

definitely try before you buy, and if at all possible try out the various amps together to see how loud they all go (very important in low wattage combos), and any real tone issues. I would look more for tonal deficits that would drive you crazy rather than the "holy grail" tone.

20. you want a reasonably cheap yet good tank

why has nobody mentioned Peavey??!!??!!??