Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In dire need of help!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Mar 7, 2004.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    So I have this bass, a Samick SDB-569. I know, Samick isn't that good of a company and their products seem to be often times cheaply made. Well I acquired this about 5 years ago and the electronics have since died on me (go figure!). So what I'm asking is if anyone knows of pickups that would fit into this, along with a new preamp. I love the wood on this bass and it's light and easy to play, and therefore I don't want to get rid of it. It has dual soapbar pickups on it, but what makes them unusual is that they both measure 1 1/2 X 4 3/16...roughly. I have yet to find pickups that meet these measurements and I was really hoping someone had a suggestion. And what really sucks is that it is a natural wood color, and therefore may be very difficult to fill in spots if the new pickups are too small. I am open to just about anything you guys have to say, so please let me know. THANKS!!

Andy

2. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

Check out Bartolini's website. They make soapbar pickups. However, I am not sure on their pickup sizes. They also make killer preamps.

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    The semour duncan, and io think the emg websites have the demensions of all their pickups, you should check there. Aguliar makes good preamps, and carvin makes a prettty inexpensivce bass preamp

4. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. So far I have found the Bartolini Soapbars to be the closest fitting. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

5. Problem you have is most pup makers stick to a kind of standard set of sizes. However, in your favour your holes should be pretty darn close to your EMG-40 shape, which is good because I know the three bigger manufacturers (Seymour Duncan, Bartolini and EMG) all make pups in that shape and you can get a whole mess of variety with that.

When it comes down to it you're pups are gonna be short by 3/16", and if you centre your pups in the hole thats only 3/32" each side. Not a huge amount in my mind, though its up to you in the end, I dunno which pups will allow it but you could do up a set of your own covers that'd fit as well as you desire.

BTW, the company Samick is quite possibly the largest manufacturer of musical instruments in the world. Just about any instrument that comes out of a factory in Korea is probably coming out of one of Samick's. So don't sneeze at them. The thing with these instruments that makes them cheaper than than Fenders that come out of the same shop is that [insert big name manufacturer here] have [slightly] higher quality control, so you're not neccesarily buying a better instrument but rather buying a higher likelihood of a better instrument.

Josh D

6. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thank you very much Josh, that was some really good advice. And don't get me wrong, I don't think Samick's are bad basses at all, seeing as how I love the feel of mine. I will do some research on those EMG's and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

Andy

7. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Okee dokee, well I just checked out a couple possibilities and am now wondering your guys opinion on this. The best I can do is a 4" pickup, which narrows it down to a Bart and the EMG. What I'm looking to get is a real deep, smooth sound. I'm not too worried about high end or midrange tone, my Flea bass takes care of that. Basically I'm looking for the opposite of a Flea bass, a sound so warm that it rolls off the strings like butter. Any suggestions as to which of these two pickup configs. will do that? And to go with that, what preamp would work best to achieve my "perfect" sound? Thanks a lot guys and I'm hoping there is someone out there who can help!

Andy

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want deep, smooth and warm, Bart is the way to go.