Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Doubt.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Dec 26, 2005.

1. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I bet everyone who reads this will slap their forehead at the sight of another SX thread. Well, here we go anyway..

Right now I have a Squier P-Bass, it's ok. However, I'm not overly impressed with the tone, although it isnt too bad, and I'm honestly not a big fan of the blue color anymore. I was curious If It would be a good idea to get the SX P/J 62' bass. I know I probably wont see a huge increase in tonal quality, but I am more willing to change out the pups on a nicer looking bass, then my blue p.

Thanks

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    An SX is not an upgrade over a Squire. You should look, at least, at an MIM Fender if you want to upgrade.

3. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    A Squier isn't an MIM Fender?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Squires are made in China, or Indonesia, usually I believe.

5. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I know but you said it isnt an upgrade over a MIM Fender

just curious about what revelence that statement has, not to be rude i just dont understand

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    By terms, MIM= the current "standard" Fender line, far above the Squier line.

7. slapcracklepop

slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    My bad I read his response wrong. Sorry brain fart!

I'll look at the MIM Fenders, thank you..

But is it worth it to change the pups out of an SX?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I was just saying. You have a Squire. You want to upgrade. An SX is not an upgrade. A MIM (Made in Mexico), Standard Fender is an upgrade.

9. I dunno. I would say that an SX is a definate upgrade over a Squire. Not a huge upgrade, but at least some.

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Based on the Squiers and SX's I've played, I'd agree with this statement. It wouldn't be a huge step up to go with an SX, but it would be a minor improvement, IMO. If you want another inexpensive, decently made bass that just looks and sounds a little different, an SX is probably a decent choice. If you're looking for significant improvement in certain areas, I'd go bigger.

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    In my opinion, unless you are looking for a project, avoid buying a cheap bass with the idea of upgrading components. There are many good deals on quality instruments in the used market.