1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Ear Monitor Convert

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by pbass62, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I just wanted to post that I am now a IEM convert.

For the longest time I have hated the idea of playing with buds in my ears or not feeling my Genz Rig behind me.

The church Im playing in went to an aviom in ear system.

I purchased a set of M Audio IE20XB ear buds plugging my Roscoe into a MXR M80 DI and was quite surprised. No ear fatigue from our acoustic drummer and our guitarist loud amp and actually loved the sound of my bass and rest of my mix.

I guess what I am trying to say is you can teach an old dog new tricks!

I am not going to give up my live rig but now know I can be satisfied with this new set up.

2. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I'm in the process of converting, just ordered some sound isolating earbuds. Lately, the drummer has been playing too loud, so I can't hear everyone else.

It seems contradictory to what I read around here, but I can always hear myself, and I have been turning down so I can hear everyone else.

3. pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    For me it was having to hear vocals etc because they are not using any floor monitors. I was 1st trying to go off of the ambient up front house main mix .

4. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    Are there any users that use both IEM and a bass rig? I don't see myself giving up the rig anytime soon, but I would like to be able to minimize hearing damage while at the same time giving me clear vocals

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I use a bass rig and IEMs. I also usually only wear the IEM in one ear. WARNING- if you play in a loud band do not do this. My band plays at fairly low volumes so we can get away with using one IEM. I usually only have the vocals and acoustic guitar in my my mix. When i'm not singing I keep it turned down low and turn it up some when I sing a song.

6. pbass62--

Does your IEM/Aviom system include a Buttkicker? That made ALL the difference for me! It provides the missing feel of a rig moving air next to you.

It is sweet.

7. pbass62

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    I have not tried the buttkicker. I would love to though.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah but the Buttkicker only works as long as you're standing on it. Not sure I'd like to be fenced in to a little square platform all night.

Now if the whole STAGE were a bunch of Buttkickers wired together....

9. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Why is this bad? I currently plug only my right hear to block the noise from the drums. The bad part? I can't hear the rythem guitar because his amp is on the other side of the drums.

That's why I bought the isolation earbuds. I'll mic the guitar amp, only use one earbud and plug into the mixer's hearphone jack. The upside is I should be hearing everyone else too. I wasn't planning to put my bass amp into the mix, so I'll listen with my left ear so I could tell if it's loud enough. We never have FOH support btw.

10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    There used to be a lot of buttkickers in churches up here too, in Canada.:bag:

11. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I was playing in a church that provided E2's with the Aviom system, but I had to share a mix with the the guitarists and their rigs were still blasting on stage. Not good.

Now I'm at a church that provides E5's with the gutar amps in isolation boxes. The system is phenomenal and the sound guys are pros during the week, so it is sweet. But the youth service didn't have any to spare so I was bringing my 1x12 rig. Couldn't hear the keys or vocals b/c everything else was too loud.

I played a youth retreat with a heavy fisted drummer and cans and got punished. Next week I found some Westone UM2's here in the classifieds. I haven't even considered bringing a rig since.

So long story, but I am a convert too. I'm much rather bring the IEMs, bass and pedalboard (sometimes a stand if needed). Helps to have a good soundman. Also helps to have a drummer that knows what dynamics are and doesn't think if its loud its automatically good.

12. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    From what I have read elsewhere on the internet if you are not careful you will turn the volume up too loud in order to hear your IEM over the band causing hearing loss. By using both IEMs the volume would be lower since it isn't having to compete with stage volume.

13. Longhornhombre

Longhornhombre

Jan 24, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Someone posted this article in another post. It's a great piece describing the pros and cons of in ears. About halfway down, there's a section that talks about the "one in, one out" approach.

http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/pf_article_detail.asp?article_id=2115

In short, you need to be careful:
    "There is also a stereophonic boost (approximately 6 dB) in perceived volume when two earphones are used together....Therefore, using one IEM, means the volume must be 6 dB louder to get the same perceived volume, thus exposing the IEM ear to unnecessarily excessive volume. It also halves the listening time before the onset of hearing damage."

We only use in ears, and I love them. I do put my rig behind me to get that rumble though.

14. bump

15. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Thanks, that is important information.

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    And this is a problem? I could only wish for mixes like that on occasion. :D

17. ***
    I use those as well. I'd like to leave my amp at home but as I'm the only guy using IME the band wouldn't hear me and my sound guy refuses to put my bass in the wedges.

CP

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Sounds like you need a new sound guy.

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, me!

I monitor my bass and the band mix in my IEM's, and the bass rig is only on stage really so the band can hear me. It's also a fallback in case the IEM develop a technical problem or I forget to bring batteries :bag:

20. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Yeah, what Pacman said.

Played at a church with less than stellar sound/crew (crap "hearbacks" and bad cans) and he wouldn't put the horns/strings in the cans. Sound was so bad I started bringing a VL-110. Argument ensued and I capitulated. Worship leader and choir missed the thump since they had no monitors to speak of - brought the rig back. Choir seemed to rock a little bit when I brought the cab.

Then the soundguy pouted and took me outta the house, so I brought the 410.

Different church now. Great soundguys and kicking a set of Westone UM2's and loving them. Great isolation and sound.

(Dang I'm long-winded...and the air is thick. :D)