In Ear Monitor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Apr 21, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does anyone know of any personal monitor systens without a body pack reciever but a simple headphone design? One that like curves around the ear?

2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I tried a ear system and hated it. Although the sound was good, seems like it lost something. I duuno call me a traditionalist, I just didnt like it.

3. Everything I've seen uses some sort of body pack. This gives you control over your volume while on stage. The Shure wired and wireless is stereo/mono. This will even let you mix your bass tone with the rest of the monitor mix. I used the Shure system for about 1 year. I loved it and hated it all at the same time. I loved the fact that I didn't have to strain to hear my vocals. People told me that I sang better and that my voice didn't seem as piercing as before. But, it added another level of complexity to my bass/PA setup which took more time, and, I felt isolated from my band mates. I ended up selling it for about what I had in it. I haven't really missed it.
  4. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I sing and play bass and I use the shure ear monitors. You have two options, 1 the expensive wireless model reciever which along with the ear monitors($150.00) will run you about $900.00, or the easy cheap way that I do it, get the ear monitor $150.00, and the direct box type power box (cant remember the brand) for $59.00 and a 18 foot headphone extension cable $12-20.00 and then you get some black Duct tape and snake them together. That way you only have on cord to trip over like normal. I absolutely love mine. I only put in one of the monitors though so I can still hear whats going on onstage, usually on the side of the drummer or the loudest guitar player to help block out those ba***rds. That way I can be as loud as I want with out anoying anyone, and I can hear every note I play. You have to have a mixing board with enough monitor sends to have your own channel though so see if there is one for you alone. I also run the drummers kick in my mix so I can keep time when he starts wander. If you have any more questions feel free to E-mail me. I absolutely love my in ear setup.

Mr. Pitiful