1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In-Ear Monitoring

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by LDHBASS, Oct 2, 2010.

1. LDHBASS

LDHBASS

Feb 27, 2010
    Hey all!! I have a quick question. I play bass for worship at church and I play at churches around, and occasionally I will play a jazz or rock gig. I am now using some Audio Tech. headphones for my in ear monitoring (we use avioms most places I go) but the headphones are just to big and burdensome to carry around and wear on stage. I am looking at getting some in-ears for myself but I want to get the right ones because I know they need good bass response for the settings that I play in. I am looking at the Shure's SE425 dual driver in ears. My price limit is 300$ for the pair. Please tell me if these are good to go with or if I should go a different direction.
    Thanks!!!!!

2. Blasto

Blasto

May 12, 2009
    M-Audio IE20XB's are a dual driver monitor that are designed for bass players and those who require X-tra Bass (XB). They run at about $199.

3. LDHBASS

LDHBASS

Feb 27, 2010
    Do u use them, are they any good, what about the IE-30's?

4. The apple in-ear headphones are superb. they are small, light and quite reasonably priced for their quality. they are usually around 100 bucks. they are also dual driver and they have quite a flat frequency range (all notes sound equal).

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Westone UM2 all day long.

>>> the Shures by performance and value. Don't be suckered in by "high end" earbuds either. Not the same thing as true IEMs and you'll blow them and could damage your hearing b/c of such. Like I did. :bawl:

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own several setups..

The most important aspect is a good seal. I'd buy lower priced IEM then have them fit and molded by an audiologist.

Tim

7. dubbroc

dubbroc Guest

Aug 26, 2010
    California, San Jose
    I tried the shures but I couldnt get a good fit, even with all the different earbud replacements. I ended up using my $7 sony earbuds, mann they fit soo good, i just wish it had a better driver

8. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I had IE30's and they were great..THEN I got a pair of custom mold TRIPLE drivers. SAVE UP and get a custom mold. The difference in fit, isolation, and fidelity is AMAZING!!!

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    That's what I did.
    The UM2's are $199. Then the custom fit tip (I think the UM-56) for both pieces and fitting was like $80.

Beyond worth it.

10. chrisp2u

chrisp2u Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I've owned a bunch of different IEM's over the years (including a couple pairs of Shure's). The past few years I've had Westone's UM2's and now UM3x's. The 3's are a bit out your of your price range (but are amazing), and the UM2's are very capable. As good or better than any of the Shure dual driver models, IMHO, for less money.

I use the rubber triple flange attachments (cut down a bit) and they provide waaaay better isolation and bass response than the comply foam tips. They do take a bit of getting used to as the feel a bit bulkier in your ear, but once you're comfortable with them, they're great. Plus, you can clean the flange tips without ruining them... last forever and far cheaper and less hassle than getting fitted pieces. However, fitted pieces will still provide a slightly superior fit.
    ---
    c

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    If you're only getting a "slightly" better fit from the stock foam or flange pieces vs. custom molds-

[​IMG]

12. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, there are a lot of dependencies involved, obviously. A persons physiology, competence of the ENT creating the mold, etc. I have known people that have not been able to get customs to work for them after numerous attempts (they won't stay in with movement). Just because it's best for you, not the best for everyone. Just sayin'. Have you ever tried triple flange tips?

As always, with most things of this nature, a person won't know what's best for them until they try. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff isn't the kind of thing the average guy can throw money at to see if it works for them. The stuff ain't cheap and generally not returnable. That's the main reason I'd suggest trying triple's over custom fit tips... it's about a $80+ and likely a couple hours of time vs. $4 to try them.
    ---
    c

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I never thought of cutting the rubber tips down. Good idea.

14. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, don't stick out of your ears nearly as far. I had read that tip (no pun intended) elsewhere a while ago. Since, I've found some that already have shortened stems...
    http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/roauprtrflti.html
    ---
    c

15. check out the westone um2's with a custom mold, and http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.net/ with a custom mold. both super duper quality and if you get a personal fit that works and stays in, you begin to wonder what you did without custom mold IEMs

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Well that's what I thought IEMs were designed to do is stay in and be comfortable while singing or talking or whatever. If you had 3+ attempts with different ENT people, then yeah I'd probably give up too but I doubt that happens rarely, if ever. One of them is bound to know what they're doing. Or, you could just do your homework and before plopping down the jack, ya know just ask 'em how many of them they've done before hand? :)

My cheapie Hearo earplugs are flanged and are about the worst thing I ever purchased. My molded Westone earplugs though are as FTW as you can get.

17. chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Where exactly did you find UM2's for $199 anyway?

My keyboard player is looking to upgrade from UM1's... I haven't seen the 2's for less than $250 anywhere... most places sell them at $279. And I thought I got a good deal on my UM2's 4 years ago @ $220.
    ---
    c

18. LDHBASS

LDHBASS

Feb 27, 2010
    Pastorofpuppets. Do the ones you own wrap around the ear?

19. they do, my guitarist uses them. also, most all IEMs wrap around the ear, and behind you, as it would be distracting to play with iPod style earbuds hanging down along your face