Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In-Ear monitors, good , bad, or??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by coop, Oct 21, 2003.

1. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    My band is talking about going to In-ear monitors for several reasons ( not the least of which is keeping the drummmer and lead guitar player from killing each other ):rolleyes:

Will the in-ears get me a decent bass sound? Any brands to avoid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I've never used them personally but to be as popular as they are with bands that can afford anything, I would assume they sound great.

Go with Shure.

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I have been wanting to know the same for some time now, if anyone has any advice it would be noce to know what are the good brands at a decent price and how good they will handle the lower notes on bass. I realize you wouldn't need to pound the bass through them but how good are they.

I would also like to know how they work as far as if they tie in with the monitors or not. Most clubs I play in won't run bass through the monitor mix because of non-sufficient quality monitors.

I know Adrian has had some experience with ear monitors so maybe he will chime in on this subject.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Shure E2's.
    My bassist and I both use them, and with the foam adapters on the end you can really squish them in and get a good thick tone. Takes a little getting used to the 'isolation' factor, but I hear the bass fine in my mix, sounds good.

I wouldn't skimp on anything cheaper...well, actually I would and I did and then I got the Shure E2's and have been happy ever since.

Last week we used them w/ floor monitors too, I just popped one side out and everything was fine.

I heartily recommend them, really helps keep stage volumes down, and lets you hear just what you need to hear.

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    xush - Thanks for the reply. I usually play in heavier, loud bands and I use my Eden WT 800 and two 410 XLT cabs and they are cranked up pretty good just to hear myself but it doesn't seem to be enough and I am usually pissing off the sound guys because the Edens fill the room so good. What I would like to do is run bass and a little kick drum in them.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've only ever heard about these very recently (latet issue of bass player with the Victor interiew) when it was mentioned that Vic uses in-ear monitors. First time I'd heard the term...I dunno, if you trust in endorsements (even though it's not an endorsement, he just uses 'em and it was mentioned passingly in the article) then that might help.

7. Hi coop. If you do a search for "ear monitor" in the Miscellaneous section, you'll find a bunch of threads that deal with this topic.

The mods will probably move the thread there anyways 'cause this is the Basses forum.

8. I use in-ear every week. I use Shure E2 and I highly recommend them. I only use one (left side - where the drummer is...) to blend the band with my direct and mic'd lines. I don't use one in my right ear. I use one of my Acme cabs for my "live" monitor. I like to both hear and feel my sound.

Jeff

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I think they're awesome. Sometimes I don't even take an amp to my gig depending on the room. We are a rock band and the combination of the in-ears and the pa is fine. I use Shure e2's and a 600 series Shure system

Rob

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmmm. Amps or Misc? Let's try Misc...

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    A while back we got some free tickets to see Mark Chesnutt. His band uses in ear monitors. They have a plexiglas barricade for the drummer and the only musician going through an amp was the lead guitarist. I got to chat with their bassist after the show and he says its so much better easier to get a good mix with in ear monitors. Especially when the band has lots of harmony vocals. All he had in his rack was a tuner and wireless, now thats a lightweight portable rig. With in ear monitors he can hear himself equally as well any place he stands on the stage, and he was all over it. He plays a Stingray 5 string because he has an endorsement deal but prefers his Lakland. He said the only drawback was he kind of missed his pants flappin. :D

12. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    If you are looking to use in-ear monitors I would suggest Shure E5's. I feel the E2's do not have the lowend needed for a bass player or drummer. They work fine for vocals. The E5's have a lowend that can reproduce the low frequencies of the bass, even 5 string. I use these every week at 2 of my gigs. They are a little more expensive than the E2's but are worth it.

Most bands use in-ear monitors. You dont notice it but they do. Some players will leave there rig at home. But I dont like to just use the ears and not the rig. I like to feel the lowend. That is the main thing that is missing from in-ears.

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    the E2's are $80 bucks. My bassist and I find they let us hear everything we need to hear. I don't think you're going to get audiophile quality reproduction out of any in-ear monitors.

The E5's appear to go for around $450? Is that right? You really feel they give $370 worth of better signal? I'm genuinely interested because I haven't demo'd any of those yet.

Guess we should have asked the poster's budget first probably...

14. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I play with a band that uses Shure in-ears. I bought the E2s and had custom ear molds made. They work great and since we carry large Meyers (18") subs, I'm able to feel the lowend from the FOH. The best part is that we have a Mackie 1604 for the monitor mix. Each of us (4 band members) can set up our own mix in the in-ears. I didn't think I was going to like using them, but it turned out just fine. The E5s have a dual-driver for better low-end response.

15. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for all of your responses! As far as budget goes, I was thinking about $400 - $600. I'm just doing some research on them now to see if it's feasible.

Thanks Again!

P.S. Sorry I posted in the wrong forum, I'm glad you moved it for me.

16. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    just becuase your using in ear monitors does not mean your damaging your hearing. I def prefer in ears but keep them at a sane volume. I am really afraid of losing my hearing so i do anything to reduce stage volume, but as long as u keep the monitors at a good volume youll be fine. They work out great though.

17. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My whole band sprung for the Shure PSM200s. It is Shure's intro level wireless system, and comes with E2s. E1s are supposed to be better, and are twice the price. I used them and didn't like them, but it was because I was used to the molds of my E2s. The E1s have better punch, but less lowend. The E5s are the elite, and are close to $500 with custom molds. Dual drivers with built in xover in the wires. The E2s work fine fore me, even with just the in ears. we don't have our cabs up loud, so it doesn't have to be loud. Isolation is good with the forms you get with the E2s, so it will reduce stage volume for you. We got our set for $500 a piece total. I doubt I will upgrage to the E5s ever because I am very happy with the cheap E2s.
    Wes