1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Ear Monitors IEM that are bass and whole band friendly for Aviom Units

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by King David, Jan 2, 2012.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I may be in the market for some in ear monitors. I have used the Westone UM2s and I likes them. I did not like the skinny non-replaceable cord. What suggestions do you have. I do not want to spend more than about $300, but in all truth I do not want to spend that much if at all possible.

I did a quick search but "in" "ear" " and "IEM" are all 3 letter words that do not search well.
    If you have any threads (not too old), or other reviews, I am all ears. Thanks!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I have the Shure E4. Picked them up via Ebay new for around 150 bucks.

3. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    You really do get what you pay for with IEM's so, if these things are going to see any heavy use at all, up your spending a bit. For 4 or 5 years, I used C-1000's from the company that is now AlienEars.com and they were ok. I recently moved up to a pair of Shure 535's with Sensaphonic molds and I can finally hear things the way I expected to hear them when I first bought the C-1000's.

4. I'd say any good "pro" quality earphones (Sures, Westone 2s, UE, etc) would do. The biggest trick is to make certain you get and can maintain a good seal, otherwise the low-end will disappear. No matter which you decide on, seriously consider getting custom ear molds as they can make all the difference in the world. IMO/IME.

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check into these. As always, I welcome mor opinions. I am a little ways away from getting some, so I am in my shopping and learning mode.
    How much does it cost to get molds made?

6. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    I got mine done for $50 at a local audiologist.And as strange as it sounds-Call a few gun shops.I got a business card from a guy at a gun show.Alot of hunters and range shooters use ear molds.My band mate used him.

I agree with the above.I tried a few inexpensive IEM's.I used Shure E5's for years.They were OK.I jumped in,got my molds and bought some JH Audios.They are awesome and I hear things I had never heard before.It is nice to save money any way you can.But with IEM's,do yourself a favor and get good ones.You will never regret it.

7. I have the Westone UM2s. They are very good sounding mid-priced prosumer earphones. They normally retail for about $349, but I have seen them as inexpensive at $199 (amazon.com for the clear colored model). With some in-ear molds at roughly $50 to $80, you'll be looking at around 3 bills for an excellent set of in-ear monitors. Trust me when I say you'll easily get you money's worth if you get a good set by using them on stage, in the studio, with personal listening, etc. Regardless of my recommendation for the UM2s, there are many other great models out there. If you can... listen first.

8. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    on the cheap i went with the shure 215. They are actually really great and only $100. I only use them at church, so I'm not competing with a lot of stage volume. If I had to upgrade I would stay with shure and get ear molds

9. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I use Shure SCL5 , wich are good , then I got some custom molds for them , now they are stellar!

If your budget is restaint , I would put a little less on the driver to get custom molds.

10. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    I got some FutureSonic Atrios. Less than $200.

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to custom molds. The foam sleeves that came with my Atrios are really great for me. I spent the time and money and some cutom molds from FS, but they pale in comparison to the generic foam sleeves. Of course, IMO, etc. etc.

Good luck! IEM's are the way to go. It's amazing, and a little disturbing, what you can hear with those things!

11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I see the Westone UM2 RCs (new version) now have a removable cord.