Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In-ear monitors (survey)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Shure E1 - both ears

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Shure E1 - one ear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shure E5 - both ears

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Shure E5 - one ear

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Nady - both ears

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Nady - one ear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Koss "THE PLUG" - both ears

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. Koss "THE PLUG" - one ear

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Other (specify) - both ears

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Other (specify) - one ear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. floor monitor

24 vote(s)
    66.7%
  12. no monitor

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. What do you use for a stage monitor?

I just started using in-ear monitors, and I decided to save some money by using "The Plug" by Koss. I like them, but the wiring is kind of flimsy and too short. For $10, though, I think they are fantastic, though I haven't tried anything else.

I only put one in and leave the other out to hear the drums, band members talking to me, etc.

2. We just use foldbacks for monitors. 99% of the time PA is supplied so we use what is there.

:D:D

Merls

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I just use normal ones, never used a in-ear one.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me no like two-in-ears....I feel and look too "disassociated" from the audience.

Me no like one-in-ear either....I'm too distractable as it is without hearing babbling from the guys at the board while I'm simultaneously trying to connect with the audience.

Even though stage monitors can sound "doctored", I like being caught up in the energy of the audience and hearing approximately what they're actually getting.

In the days when I played on huge stages, there weren't any "in-ears" around, so I think they could be wonderful when you're half-of-a-mile from the audience and the other musicians.

5. I really fancy the idea of in ear monitoring for my vocals. At the moment we use on-stage monitors to hear our vocals with a bit of bass drum. I don't usually go through the P.A with my bass.

Do you want to hear yourself on bass, singing or the other members of the band?

P.S is this in the right place???

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    no, moving it, thank you! :)

7. Peavey - Eurosys 15 ; 150w Active monitor, we have 4 of them.

8. I changed to using 2 in-ear monitors. I like hearing the vocals "up close" and especially hearing my bass. I still use "The Plug", and recently had my first set crap out - but I found out that they have a lifetime warrenty (ok - they charge you $5 for a new set, but you can't beat that!!)

I got real tired of constantly being told to "turn it down" by the sound guy, and now I can control what I hear, and I can hear myself REAL GOOD, so I play better.

I have a 4-channel stereo mixer in my rack, and I run it as follows:
    1. Bass: Low Frequencies, panned center
    2. Bass: High Frequencies, panned slightly right
    3. Monitor Mix, panned center
    4. Mike that I put by the kick drum, panned where the drummer is relative to me on the stage (e.g. pan left if the drummer is towards my left).
      [/list=1]

--joe

9. As a sound engineer I love them. They keep the stage roar down which really helps get a very clean FOH mix and they also give you the ability to give the performers exactly what they want to hear when mixing monitors.

I've found that you can get away from that "cut off from the audience" vibe by using some audience mics (pointed into the audience near the PA) to bleed some crowd and PA noise into the monitors. A bit of reverb often helps. I've had great success applying these techniques to IEMs. Artists that formerly hated them now love 'em.

if the Koss plugs work for ya, go for it, it's a pretty cost effective way to go!

10. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    In ears are very useful, when you can get a good sound guy!!!:mad: But I prefer on stage monitors just for the feel of the bass on you, helps you get into it a little more I think.

11. Oh - I feel it too - I have my bass amp behind me... you see not everybody in the band is using in-ear monitors - so I do still vibrate the stage with my bass... and yes, I very much like to feel it - especially for low-E and below!!!

--joe

12. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    $10 for the kit? Or plugs only? How does it work???

Do Tell!

Gwon

13. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I have the Shure E-1. They are great. They work as earplugs, as well as monitors. I was using them with a cheesy Nady wireless monitor system. I just pluged that into one of the aux sends in the board, and had my own mix, and it did NOT need to be at earbleeding levels since they totally seal up you ear.

14. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info! So, what signals do you have going to your mixer? And is it a pain to have the cord from the mixer going to the earplugs? Does it get in the way?

Thanks again!

Gwon

15. Scroll up to see the signals.

The extra wire has not posed a problem. I did add a "clip" that I stole from the ear bud on my cell phone to "The Plug" and I clip it to the back of my shirt.
    --joe

16. I had the opportunity last night to try out a set of Shure E1s, when my KOSS "The Plug"s died on me in mid-set. (Ok - actually only one channel died.)

I read with great interest the review of the Shure E1s here:
    http://www.drumdojo.com/reviews/iem.htm

However, I cannot agree with this review for my application. The bass
    and kick sounded HORRIBLE thru the Shure E1s. There was nothing I could
    do to make it sound good, and my playing suffered because I wasn't happy
    with what I was hearing.

I found that the sound produced by "The Plug" is superior to the Shures for hearing
    bass/kick. I don't sing, but the vocals sound great also. At $10 a pair,
    they are much more affordable than the Shure's, too. I'm sure the Shure's are more reliable, so that's why I always carry a spare set of 'The Plug" with me. Unfortunately, last night when I hooked up my spare, I found that they were defective. Fortunately, my sound guy had an extra set of the Shure E1s for me to use.

I don't know - maybe it the headphone amp I'm using - I know I had to turn
    it up past where I would normally have it set for the KOSS buds in order to
    get the same level out of the Shure buds - maybe I'm overdriving it now.

--joe