in ear monitors

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by nate22, Jun 9, 2004.

1. nate22

May 5, 2004
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I use these ones

Word of caution:

Has your singer ever used them before? Or does he just think he'll be better off with them? If so, I think he should try them out before he buys them. They're not the best thing in the world for singing. They are amazing for playing bass and other instruments. But I have a hard time singing with them. My singer stopped using them after a while and went back to his stage monitor. It's a lot of money to drop if you're going to end up not using them anymore. Also, they take a while to get used to. It took me about a month's worth of gigging to feel comfortable with them.
  3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  4. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I've used IEMs for several years . Carvin system . They came with a set of Koss ear buds .
    I want to upgrade to either a pair of Shure E2s , or a pair of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3 s
    I know a guy at the local Guitar Center , he will sell me either one for the same price . Guitar Center stopped stocking the Shures , they claim the Ultimates are better . I read several reveiws on Musicians Friend's website for the E2s , sounds like a few people had issues with the cords shorting out .

UEs have a replacable cord .
    No reveiws available for the UEs .
    Anyone know about the UEs ?
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have used the E2's before with very good results. I still have a set of them for a spare, but have been using E5's now.

I found the IEM's to be a great help for singing, especially for harmonies. When set right, I think that in-ears are very tough to beat.

We still use our wedge monitors about half the time, just because. But my preference is normally in-ears.
  6. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Ultimate ears are the best monitors available. No joke. But go for something that isn't 900 bucks. :-\
  7. You can get a set of wireless in ear Nady EO3's from ebay for under 150 bucks. They're not great, but they definately work fine. You'll need new headphones, but the actual transmitter works wonderful for a first time user. It's no shure700, but most people cant afford a 1200 dollar in ear set.
  8. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Is that what you use?
  9. rogerjeep

Aug 10, 2005
    I have used Shure E-5's for three years and they work fine for me. I also have a pair of Westone UM2's. I find them to be a little smoother in the high end. But both should work great for your situation.
  10. I don't personally use them (I wear earplugs when we play), but my band's lead singer uses them and they work ok. There's a slight hiss, but otherwise they're fine.
  11. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    We have Shure IEMs at my church gig. Personally, I'd go back to regular monitors. We spend twice as much time trying to get the singer's monitors adjusted as I think we need to. All the instrumentalists have their own mixers so it's not too bad. If the system reboots you have to start over again, suddenly massive distortion or you loose an instrument (sound booth probs). When they're dialed in they're nice, if not, they are kind of a nightmare.

Our stage volume is very low, that's good. We can have 15 or 20 people up on the stage trying to sort all this out sometimes.

I am a great fan of simplicity.
  12. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    "System reboots"? What kind of PA are you running?

If your settings are often lost, just write them down. Then at most, the IEM system will require a little tweaking.

And if it's a sound booth problem, I don't think that regular monitors will solve it.
  13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Are you using a digital mixer? For my purposes, nothing beats a good analog mixer for IEM's. Once a good mix is achieved, it's pretty much plug and play. As long as few variables are added, (new mics, etc) you should barely have to tweak anything especially in an install situation. (church) I was with a group for 5 yrs. + that used the EXACT same mics, di's IEM's and monitor mixer for every single performance. In that time, once a good stereo mix was achieved, I can count on two hands the number of tweaks I had to make with my mix. That included everything from clubs to open air stages. It always sounded the same!
    (disclaimer: they're still not for everyone:D )
  14. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I am completely new to this.

What do I have to do to get into these? Can we start out with one transmitter and a bunch of receiver bodypacks/ear monitors, and just get more transmitters if we decide we need more mixes? We currently run one wedge monitor mix for everyone.

Cost is a big issue, and I'm confused at exactly what the minimum we'd need would be. UHF better than VHF? Is Nady OK for the occassional weekend warrior? I'd have a real hard time getting everone in the band to drop $400-$600 each for their own monitors when they're getting a free wedge mix from me right now.
  15. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    The biggest issue is that you're happy with your sound. AFAIK, the advantages to multiple IEM mixes are similar to the advantages of multiple wedge mixes.

If everyone has their own wedge mix, you won't have to have everyone in every wedge. Maybe the lead guitarist doesn't need to have anything besides his guitar and lead vocal in his monitor. Maybe the lead vocalist just wants his vocal and a little snare to keep him locked into time. Maybe the drummer just wants bass and nothing else.

Of course, as you well know, if you only have one wedge mix, then everyone gets all guitars, all vocals, and whatever else is in those monitors.

Same thing here. Get the IEM system, and you'll get a whole bunch of everything if you only have one mix (which is doable - you can get a bunch of receivers on one channel).

Another thing to consider (this is the biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger right now) - if you get the good earpieces that will block outside sound, you will be unable to hear "normally"... that is, the audience will be almost completely inaudible unless you run an audience mic and pipe a little of that in. In my band, we run sound from the stage at the moment, and if I can't listen to the room, it's very difficult to mix properly. If we can get another full time sound tech, I'll probably make the leap to IEMs. But really, if you want to do it right, you'll really want each person to have their own mix, just like you would with the "ideal" wedge setup.

Btw, if you go IEM, I'll buy your wedges from ya! lol...
  16. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA

You wouldn't want our wedges... they're cheap, low wattage SoundStage Technologies or something like that... I'll have to check. They came in pairs that locked together in a cube for transport. Cheap Chinese speakers in them. Piezo tweeters. But they work fine for our use. Definitely low end stuff though.
  17. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Sounds like most people like the in-ear monitors. About a year ago, my bandleader put out several thousand bucks for a Sennheiser system. He likes it because we no longer have to lug wedges, power amps, cables etc. for the floor setup. I'll admit that setup is easier and a lot less cluttered, but...
    1. The standard earpieces that came with the system didn't stay in my ears, and I hated the feel of them crammed in there. I'm pretty active, boogie around a lot, turn my head, etc. and they fall out. Can't quite hear them lying on my collarbone. So I've gone to wearing headphones. My cowboy hat is gathering dust in my closet. Often the headphones don't stay put & slide around.
    2. I stand at stage left, and the guy next to me has gone to an ear doctor and gotten fitted earpieces that go down into the ear canal. Now I can't talk to him any more, unless it's on the mike. He can't hear me! I find that I really miss that. Sometimes you want to say something to your bandmate that you don't want the entire room to hear.
    3. Much of the time during a song, I can't take my hands off the bass to adjust volume, or to just take the headphones off if there's static from a dying battery or other weirdness. If the guitarist suddenly decides to crank it up, I'm helpless until the end of the song.
    4. The bass usually sounds like crap in the phones, and the phones interfere with the way I hear my rig.
    5. It's a pain to have to go over to the monitor mixer again and again, on the other side of the stage, to keep twiddling knobs. And it delays the show.

Overall, I hate the in-ear system, and I've considered quitting the band over it. I want my floor wedges back!
    Enough whining for the moment...
  18. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I don't know the technical details (sorry). Sometimes when we come in, our individual mixers are just reset. All levels are equal in volume and pan so I have to go through and reset them how I like. Also, I agree with the lazylion as far as the sound of the bass through them, my bass goes through a Sansamp to the mixer, no amp or cabs on stage. That was the idea in the first place, to virtually eliminate stage volume then the room will be cleaner sounding or something..., anyhow, I spend a fair amount of time keeping the earpieces properly seated in my ears, If you loose the seal the bass goes away, thin and distorted. While they are seated correctly the sound of the bass (which is really the only sound we care about ;)) ranges from ok to kind of lousy. Tonight wasn't bad, but I prefer my rig. I think the potential is there, maybe in time I will like them more. It's what we have and I doubt that they'll get rid of it. I think the investment was $30K + !!!

Oh well, rock on, eh? :bassist: