In Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by churchboy, May 6, 2002.

1. Has anybody out there used in ear monitors, are these a passing fad or shall I sell my redhead and get on board with the new technology?
  2. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    In-ear monitoring is an acquired taste.
    I've used it for 5 years or so and absolutely love it - if you get a two-channel model you can set your own foldback mix yourself (goodbye guitars!)..
    Most larger gigs it's useful to have an open mike front of house and mix it with the dry signal to prevent that headphone effect that most singers seem to like.
    As I'm an audio engineer by day I need to protect my hearing and the in-ear system substitutes for my old Sonics diaphragm ear plugs.
    Shure make a reasonably priced UHF system which most music stores should have in stock if you want to try them.

- have fun!
  3. Thanks LowEndRider. Do you use the two-way ear plugs or the single driver ones and if so do they reproduce the bass pretty well ?
  4. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    The Single driver ones are fine - I use them mostly for vocals/keys and bass fill etc and just stand in front of my rig if I need any extra low end ( I once played an entire set with my amp off by mistake and didn't notice).