Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IN EAR OR FLOOR MONITORS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lefty, Feb 23, 2006.

1. lefty

lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    someone on this site just metioned that thier church were switching from floor monitors to in ear monitors, our church just did the same, so i was wondering what do you prefer, in ear or floor monitors?

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I've never used in-ears...but some bands my band has played with have.....

From what I've seen, I wouldn't go with in-ears unless you have someone who is fully competent to work with them. Otherwise, from my experience, it takes forever to set them up at the gig.

Also, the band's that have used them that my band has played with have always been the type that think they're playing a stadium and feel they should be treated as royalty.....when they're just another local band playing the bar. So my opinion may be slightly skewed due to idiots.

I've always found stage monitors adequate, personally.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You've never used them, but in your experience they take too long to set up? :eyebrow: I think I know what you mean......

Anyways, just started using them, I am the only guy with an amp, instruments are drums bass acoustic guitar mandolin and banjo in this act. Once they are set up, they sound fine. Takes a little fine tuning, but so do monitors to get a mix that don't suck. however when everyone is using amps, you don't have to spend as much time on monitors due to sound coming out of various places on stage.

They sound great for sure, if you can get a setup that don't suck they are worth it.

4. I prefer floor monitors as long as you can keep stage volume low enough. At a church I played at once, we each had one of the Aviom units with in-ears. They were pretty cool, being able to set your own mix, and on the fly, but I missed the "big" sound from the wedges.

5. Well there are a few questions:

What kind of mics do you have? Are they wide pattern or tight patter?

How loud is the stage? Lots of amps, or lots of acoustics?

How many returns do you get?

And finally, how much are you will to spend? Do you want wired or wireless in-ear?

There are a ton of variables that can change what you need to do. If you have lots of amps and cardiod pattern mics, yeah, go with in-ear. There is this nasty, evil thing called feedback, and floor wedges are notorious for creating it. But, if you have a quiet stage with hyper or super cardioid mics, then yeah, you can probably get away with wedges. Just check is out well in advance, at volume levels LOUDER than what you will be playing. That way, you have some headroom.

Rock on
    Eric

6. I've used both. I personally do NOT like in-ears without ambiance mics. The literally block out everything other than what's in your mix. it was way too sterile for me. On the plus side, and with my band where our monitor board gave us very specific monitor mixes, I got EXACTLY what I wanted in the mix, all the way down to specific drums (i.e. more snare, less tom 1, etc. etc).

If ambiance mics are an option, I vote in-ears hands down.

The only downside for me is the fact that I am a lunatic on stage. Sometimes it was difficult to keep the in-ears in ear! :D

7. My finding exactly.

The in-ears were usually way too stale and I feel cut-off. I realy need to feel the music. I always feel like I have in ears too loud to get the feel I want. But, if the conditions are right in ears cut down on a lot of stage volume and make it happier in front of the mains.

8. Both!!!

What we use are are church is a raised platform for the bassist and under than platform are 4 butt kickers that we run off of a separate power amp up in the sound booth. We use hear in ear hub with 4 mixers one for each guitarist and one each for the drummer and bassist, they work great. All of the sound and power is transmitted through Ethernet cat 5 cable to each mixer. You have eight different channels to mix in and out and a master volume for the overall volume in your headset... its great, we have had different musicians come to are church and play and say they loved it and have used nothing like it before. On each mixer we have 5 of the 8 channels used by Vocal/Keyboard/Bass/Drums/Guitar. Musicians like the fact you can turn certain channels up and down and you don't have to look up at the sound man and say... I cant hear myself, too much drums or bass or what not!

For the bassist he can not only hear but feel the sound which is good. We have had the system for close to 1 1/2-2yrs and had no complaints about it, works like a charm.

If anyone else is interested in the system or the shaker box... drop me a PM and I can get you some more info. and take pic's of the box and setup... its nice and keeps all of the cranky musicians happy. :D

9. My old drummer had a butt kicker on his drum throne. Absolutely amazing. When I'd sit on his throne and play, it was incredible. You can very literally feel the notes, which gives the impression that it's THAT much more prominent in the low-end.