Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in ear question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I think i am abou tot take a gig playing at a local church. they have a pretty advanced monitoring system but only have head phones for the rest of us to use. at this point drums arent in the monitors because they arent mic'd. any suggestion for a cheap in ear solution? it needs to be wired and able for me to undo one ear. thanks for your help.

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I haven't personally tried one, but I've heard of some bass players having good results with one of these Rolls PM50S Personal Monitor Amps. 50 bucks plus whatever kind of earphones you want to plug into it.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    thank you so much for your reply. however they already have the mix covered, its overcoming the headphones. i need something like a "wired" in ear monitor, hoping there is a cheaper alternative. shure makes some that were like 70 bucks. i would like it to be a tad cheaper than that

4. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Shure makes a decent wired one, I use the Shure PCMs (I think that's what they're called). Make sure you use one that has a built in compressor. Because if you just use headphone and some one drops a mic you could do serious damage to your ear. Also, NEVER play with only one in-ear. You'll tend to turn it up to a much too loud volume to compensate and potentially damage your ear that way. They are designed for both ears and have noise cancelling properties, hence why using one would be damaging.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is the cheapest and in my opinion the coolest way (if you are not moving around)

as to the ears:

i have Shure E1's (OK for bass) and futuresonics (better).

you can get E1 type ears from westone.com - westone makes the best sounding ears. the E1 type from westone are only 99 plus s and h

i am having some shure E5's sent to me soon. they have two drivers in them and sound better. high and low drivers. bass players and drummers tend to like these. they are very expensive ($500+ i think).

i use psm600's (wired)

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have been using IEM for about the last 6 years. If you are just needing the Ear Bud nojazzloco has some great suggestions for you. My experience is that most people that use in-ears just use one side unless your playing in a god awful room or a god awful loud ass band. Also they do NOT provide low bass tones. Ideally they work best if everyone in the band uses them meaning no amps or monitors on stage. Then your soundman has 100% control of the mix.

Hope this helps
    :bassist:

7. The keyboard player in a band I was in used Sony ear buds for his own mix (usually using just one). There's a pretty big line, 9 models varying from $10-80 msrp. The midline models up have decent bass response.