1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In-Ear Vocal Monitor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by wespaul, Mar 2, 2008.

1. wespaul

wespaul

Aug 23, 2007
    utah
    Maybe not the right place to post this, but does anyone have any experience with or recommendations for an in-ear vocal monitor system for our lead singer? I have heard about them, but have no experience with them at all.

Our lead singer is one who can never hear herself clearly enough, so we thought about trying the in-ear monitor thing, but we can't really afford to dish out $1k or more. Budget may be up to $350 - $400 if necessary.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Wes

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For that price budget, she will be terribly disappointed and will likely not continue to use them. For singers especially, the earbuds are the key component, and a recommended pair of Shure E5's alone cost $500 without any of the other components.

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Check out the shure PSM-200. They are about $600.00 new. Might be able to get a used set-up for 3-400.

4. wespaul

wespaul

Aug 23, 2007
    utah
    Thanks all for the tips. I didn't realize the ear buds were the important part. I'll shop around for a used system, focusing on Shure.

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    While the ear buds are important I don't think you need E5s if you are a singer. Those are designed with musicians who need good low-end response such as bass players. While they would sound better than say E2s they are not really necessary IMO.

6. Holy cow, our singer was going to get some iems but he assumed that 250$ would be expensive ones.

Hmm

7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Good IEMs will cost at least twice that. Stay with reputable brands like Shure, AKG or Sennheiser for best results.

8. gyetman

gyetman

Dec 2, 2007
    We all use E2's and they work fine. In order to save a few bucks, I run my E2's into a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer which in turn is connected to the monitor mixer. My 802 sits on my amp so I can adjust the sound level but my in-ear mix has to be adjusted at the monitor mixer. Total cost was less than $200 and it works great. If I was gigging more than once a month I'd probably upgrade to E5's but for now they do the job.

9. We run an Aviom setup, with IEM's for all the musicians and vocalists. I've found them to be quite nice.

10. The most expensive part of it coms from the wireless bit right? Because I see shure earbuds for 99 bucks..

11. gyetman

gyetman

Dec 2, 2007
    I paid about that for my E2's. Going wireless is the expensive part, and unless you're already wireless with your instruments or your singer enjoys performing ninja kicks, I don't think it's essential. What kind of system are you using for monitoring sound now?

12. Well, heh, nothing. Our singer sits in front of his keyboard most of the time so I imagine he won't be moving around much and will just plug into his keyboard (since the vocals go through it).

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't think of SHURE earbuds, but WHICH SHURE earbuds. The $99 ones will leave you wanting.

14. machell

machell

Jun 6, 2006
    Auckland, NZ
    sneaky plug for Shure products as my band is endorsed by them.....

I use E5's and our touring packs are fairly standard base model Shure's (as they get bashed around so much). I think E5's are fantastic but they probably could be a little more comfortable. E3's are also excellent and less expensive.

IMO, the jump between E2 to E3 is greater than E3 - E5...personal opinion. The key will be in teaching your singer to learn how to build a good mix. It's all very well have IEM's but it may not necessarily solve the problem if the singer doesn't know what they need.

15. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI